Pieris with leaf damage edged in red

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Justine M, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Hello Garden Gurus!

Could you please help me identify what's happening to my pieris? I planted it last spring and it ended up being somewhat overwhelmed by nearby perennials. Now that those are all died-down, I noticed that many of the leaves have brown tips tinged in red. Here are some images. When I look with a magnifying glass I can see what looks like really, really small white fly carcasses. Might just be dust. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Plant stress. It looks as though a few things are happening. Stippling from leaf hoppers possibly, and the brown tip is most likely winter damage. This can happen to newly planted shrubs. The leaves appear a bit chlorotic (yellowish) too.

I would check to be sure the plant isn't too deep in the planting hole. Check the pH. I think it will be fine.

3. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Wow! So quick!! Thanks for the analysis. Once it warms up I will do as you suggest. Some of my rhodos are chlorotic (?) too. I think the top dressing of soil from the spring might be too alkaline. What would you suggest is responsible for the red spots and edging? Cheers.

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

The red edging is probably winter damage and the spots are a minor fungal infection most likely from the rain.

5. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thank you!