Holiday Mandarins

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This is the time of year when mandarins are abundantly available, at least in these parts. They are often sold in 5-lb. boxes and indicated as Japanese, Chinese, or Korean in origin but gives no clue to the variety. Are these mandarins all satsumas of one variety or another? If yes, what are the most common varieties? If no, what mandarins are they?

2. AnotherAlterEgo

AnotherAlterEgo Active Member

In Texas, this time of year, we end up with Spanish Clementines, which have been less-than-desirable over the past few years. Satsumas have been available locally -- mostly grown in Louisiana. But I doubt they will be so readily available this season. To answer your question, I would only guess that fruit from Japan would be Ponkan (Warnurco) or Satsuma Mandarins. From China or Korea. . . who knows?

3. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

More than likely they are Satsumas. Others available at this time are Clementine & Sunburst. They are for sure not Ponkan, as Ponkans don't come into season until early Jan. and are some of the largest of the Mandarins.

4. AnotherAlterEgo

Laaz is correct about the Ponkan being among the largest of the mandarins. And he's probably correct in that your 5lb boxes aren't this variety. However, Ponkans, in the U.S. can be mature as of early-mid December (such as mine did two years ago), or as late as early February (I'm getting this feeling about my own Ponkans right now, as the flesh is still green). Keep in mind that the message poster is referring to citrus grown in an entirely different hemisphere. And I'm not sure how many Sunbursts (a USDA release in 1979) are grown in the Far East. Either way, my vote is with Laaz. Your mandarins are probably Satsumas.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't think they're Pokans as they are quite large. The ones in the boxes are relatively small and lighter in color. They're a treat this time of year whatever they are. I suspect marketing has a hand in this; the average person would not want to know or would be confused by the varietal names. However it would be nice to let people know that they are satsumas of some sort if that's what they are.

6. AnotherAlterEgo

Speaking of marketing. . . If they are in wooden crates/boxes, you might have Clementines. But Clementines are mainly a Spain and Morocco thing. Who knows?