Acer palmatum 'Villa Taranto'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 21, 2005.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Like everyone else, I find this a hard cultivar to capture with camera. I love my plant. Photo from 4/24/11

33218958-1-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

My Villa Taranto, I think, not 100% sure as it was just labeled Linearilobum when I purchased it. One of my favourites though.
    019.jpg 001 (2).jpg S1053292.jpg

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is a photo of one of my Villa Taranto, I really like this tree in spring.

Attached Files:

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The colors on one of my Villa Taranto looked good while others were pretty boring

Attached Files:

5. Skippy

Skippy Member

Villa Taranto in Toronto...

Attached Files:

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Lovely deep color this spring. And flowers too :)

Attached Files:

7. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Here’s some more photos of my Villa Taranto with its deep red spring coloration. The leaves are strap like only on a few branches. My tree is now about 6-8’ high and wide. It’s had some dieback on outer branches the past two winters but seems to recover nicely. It’s probably going to become too large for the spot where I planted it but I’m hesitant to move it.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thought I'd update with my VT in it's current state, as it's looking pretty good right now. Sorry didn't clean up the various pots and junk hanging around! On the closeup the sun finally came out.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my new Villa Taranto, I have had it in a sheltered position in a pot for two years now. It seems so delicate that I am nervous about planting it out too soon. I do prefer it to my Scolopendrifolium.
    These are my Spring photos 2020.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I like the way the reddish colour on the wall brings out the same colour in the leaves.

11. Acerholic

Thank you Margo, Hmmm not intentional, well perhaps a bit Lol.

12. Acerholic

August 5th 2020 and my Villa Taranto has made some good growth this Summer. Don't expect much more now if any. Colour changes next.

Attached Files:

13. D97x7

Hello all, not posted for a long time.
    Here's my Villa Toranto today, it's finally in it's forever spot
    IMG_20200805_094102.jpg

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  14. Acerholic

@D97x7, beautiful specimen. We have some very hot weather heading our way in a couple of days, looks like you have it well protected.
    Love to see photos of yours in the Autumn?

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Well I'm very pleased with my Villa Taranto, the second photo was me trying to get a very close up of the leaf. Sorry if it's a little blurred.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    I never find this tree easy to photograph, my camera seems to want to ignore the leaves of my Villa Taranto. But here it is today and doing rather well.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over. Again difficult to photograph, but I thought it was worth a posting.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

27th October 2020 and my Villa Taranto has only just started to turn. Thought I would post this to show how late it is this year.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  19. emery

VT is one of the latest A. palmatum group to turn. Often color is not long lasting, but whether that has to do with more of a chance of bad weather when it does go it unclear.

20. Acerholic

So wet but so very mild here, 18° C, the days of early Autumn frosts in my part of the world are now gone forever it appears. My trees used to colour up so much earlier then, even an old VT.

21. D97x7

Same here in my garden, south west UK, it's thinking about it.
    IMG_20201027_082419.jpg IMG_20201027_082510.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@D97x7 good morning, really lovely Villa Taranto you have there, the transition phase is so interesting to look at.

The South of England is so mild at this time of year these days, everything is either late in changing or falls before they colour up.

D97x7 likes this.
  23. emery

@D97x7 it's unusual for VT to go red, usually in autumn it is yellow or orange. The color yours shows is more typical of 'Linearlobum', just wondering what made you decide the original label was incorrect?

I didn't photograph ours this year, it was very quick and now all the leaves have dropped in the rain. This is what it looked like on 9 Nov 2018, though.

IMG_4124_1.JPG IMG_4125_1.JPG IMG_4126_1.JPG IMG_4127_1.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  24. D97x7

I just thought linearlobum was referring to the leaf type rather than the specific cultivar, perhaps I was wrong then.
    If so I apologise for messing up the thread.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  25. emery

Pretty much everyone gets confused about this point. There's a cultivar called 'Linearlobum', but also a group called Linearlobum (without the quotes). 'Villa Taranto' is a member of the group Linearlobum, along with many others. e.g. 'Koto no ito', 'Fairy Hair', 'Red Pygmy' etc. Seedlings of this group occur all the time, they're called linearlobums or strap-leafs (no quotes).

But if yours is grafted, it's likely they were saying it is the cultivar 'Linearlobum'. Anyway if that is what you have, it's a very desirable maple and actually not very common. Yours is certainly lovely.