Acer palmatum 'Beni hoshi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a second year plant obtained from the source last season. This cultivar was named and introduced by Dell Loucks of Dell's Japanese Mapes in Junction City, Oregon. This plant was gafted by Dell and is a fine red leafed dwarf that holds it red color into summer, but its eventually greens out with some red undertones.

Mature plants at his nursery are around 2m after 15 years and very compact.

These two photos were taken on 4/7 and 4/17/05. The lighter red leaves being the earlier photo.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

New leaves on maturing spring growth. May 2005.

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

Just keeping the seasonal photos up to date. Here is a photo from today, 07/11/05.

With the sun on the leaves they appear a little more yellow than they should. They are actually bronzing in the summer heat, a more orange rust color. I have seen mature specimens of this plant grown in full sun and with adequate water, it will bronze in summer without bruning.

I like is a a good red dwarf selection.

Attached Files:

4. mjh1676

Here is another in the color and seasonal series for this plant. From the above bronzed state I moved it into medium shade and achieved the nice deep green color in this photo. While the leaves would have held up in the sun, I wanted to make sure I would have something for fall color just in case. This photo is accurately colored and the new red summer growth in quite striking. This plants is not a prolific summer grower but will put out some.

Photo 9/4/05

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice thread Michael. Thanks for the effort to show the tree through the seasons.
    Regards

Gomero

6. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Here is its fall color, taken 11/5/05.

Attached Files:

7. mjh1676

Just a couple more phots. The color and characteristics seem consistent with last spring.

Attached Files:

8. mjh1676

Just a follow up. I love the plant, but I wish it would grow faster!

Attached Files:

9. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Beni hoshi in Pennsylvania

Attached Files:

10. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Got this one from Del Loucks in 2005, and it struggled for a year or so because it was so tiny. It's doing fine now and is thriving, growing a lot.

Attached Files:

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

According to Vertrees (Gregory), JAPANESE MAPLES 'Beni hoshi' means "red star."

12. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Ron, exactly right. That's what Del Loucks said also. Nice to have everyone in agreement.

13. luciley

luciley Member

Nobody has said anything about Beni hoshi in years. Is this because it is such a weak grower that it has died out or people have lost interest. I have only had it a couple of years and I do like it but it has never ventured out of the greenhouse so I don't know how it performs in the real world. Also I have heard that a new name for it is Ruby Stars. What do you think?

14. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Mine doesn't seem overly weak, nor overly vigorous so I don't know about it dying out. One possibility is that there are so many other red dwarf cultivars, many of which have superior color retention, that it doesn't quite capture as much attention.

I have heard the ruby stars argument from both sides. Some say they are the same plant, just a translated version. I have also heard that it is similar, but ruby stars was supposedly selected out as a seedling separately. I haven't seen ruby stars in person, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions one way or another until proof is provided. However, they do look similar to me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  15. luciley

luciley Member

Well, I guess if you know that it was a selected seedling apart from Del's, then it is different, but I have them both and they sure are similar.

16. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Well now I have only heard that it was selected out as a seedling, I can neither confirm or deny this claim. Someone with better connections would have to tackle that one.

My previous post was a bit unclear so I clarified it a bit.

17. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I love my Beni hosi! I got a 4ft. one from Greers and couldn't be more pleased.

18. luciley

luciley Member

That is great news. Have you had it for a long time? How are your summers in Dickson? Is it in shade or sun?

19. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2008 and May 2009

Attached Files:

20. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is a Beni Hoshi which was used as a 'mother tree' for a Oregon nursery for over a decade or so. I also have a few Ruby Stars from another grower and thre is a noticable difference in color between the two trees. The Ruby Stars has a little more vibrant red/purple color to it. This comarison is done by two other trees which are growing next to each other so they have the same sunlight.

Attached Files:

21. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I, too, have had both Beni Hoshi and Ruby Stars in my garden for several years. I've been told by various nurserymen that these plants are identical, but they certainly do not look identical in my garden. They are similar, yes, but not the same. In my garden, Beni Hoshi is a redder brick-like color with Ruby Stars being more purple, and the leaf shapes on mine also show slight differences.
    mapledia

22. amazingmaples

I have sen a difference in color between the two trees but if I did not have them labeled I would not be able to tell which tree was which.

Attached Files:

23. amazingmaples

the light looked great on the beni hoshi, I had to take a few photos of the it.

Attached Files:

24. amazingmaples

Here is one of my beni hoshi planted in the garden. The shape of this one was a bit of a disappointment (it was not the tree I tagged) but it still looks good and in time I hope it gets its lower branches back.

Attached Files:

25. Skippy

Skippy Member

some pics of my Beni hoshi

Attached Files: