How to keep my basil going?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by xdarkshinesx, Nov 25, 2011.

1. xdarkshinesx

xdarkshinesx Member

I bought a basil plant from a local save-on foods 3 weeks ago. I love basil (I actually want a Thai basil) and culinary herbs. The one I got is from "Kitchen Pick" they have a website (http://kitchenpick.com/FAQ.html). I am new to taking care of anything that lives on soil...

One day after I first brought it home, they all started to droop. So I quickly watered it and they perked up again. It says to water every 3-4 days in the winter. Right now it's autumn, I think I've been watering every 2-3 days, when I notice the top of the soil is dry (I don't stick my finger in to feel if it is moist below though).

I however have not been adding any fertilizer to my waterings...

I'm down to maybe 9 little stems standing right now, I still had 11 a few days ago. I doubt they're getting enough sun here. It's placed by a west-facing window, and I don't always remember to open the blinds. It's about 21-22C in my kitchen where it's sitting.

I suspect I may be overwatering. The ones that die, after they get a little droopy, are the ones that start to turn brown at the base of the stem first. Once I spot that, I know that one's not going to stay alive. You can see one of them like that in the pictures. Also, parts of the leaves keep turning brown/greyish and wilted looking.

Oh and I've been watering it from the top. I just realized from reading from the site that it likes to take up water from the bottom *oops* :(

What should I be doing in order keep them going? I'll be very happy if I can make them last through the winter (or even just the new year)...

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

First of all, I'd be repotting into a bigger pot with some fresh soil. After that, water from the bottom if possible (for indoor basils, it seems to help quite a bit), and keep it in a sunny location for as long as possible. If you think you're overwatering, you probably are - the plant will tell you when it's thirsty by starting to droop, and once you've observed that cycle for a while you'll have a better idea of when to water.

Other than that, don't let it open any flowers and you'll be fine (just trim the flowers off as they form).

3. gardenscaper

gardenscaper Member

Basil is considered a 'long-day' plant meaning it requires about 14 - 18 hours of light per day (most herbs, veggies, and garden flowers are considered 'long-day') without which your basil will struggle. As you won't be getting that amount of daylight in Richmond at this time of year, you might want to consider a 'grow light' or full spectrum bulb to help prolong your basil life.