ID for common flower please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dbookbinder, Nov 24, 2011.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Another common flower. I hope to be able, at least, to identify the various flowers I see in my neighborhood. I am apologetically slow at it and appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

2. dbookbinder

And one more.

Again, I'm not a gardener, just an artist who uses flowers in my work and would like to become proficient in identification at the most basic level. A text recommendation would also be helpful, or some kind of web cheat sheet even better, as I could link to it with my iPhone.

Attached Files:

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The first looks like California Poppy, Eschscholzia californica, and the second is almost certainly Gazania of some sort (one of a number of species called African Daisy).

I'm not sure that a web cheat sheet of the type you're looking for exists.... Bound references are the way to go, and if I wasn't in the middle of a move I'd be able to reccomend actual titles. Bah. What to look for at the bookstore are books with titles like "The Perennial Garden" and "Flower Gardening" - they'll have plates and information about the flowers you're looking for.

4. dbookbinder

I have a couple of such books, but they are large and to me confusing and often also don't seem to include most of the flowers people plant in this area. Maybe what I'll end up doing is compiling my own, but your suggestion prompts me to visit Amazon.com and see if someone has created one for New England.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, we've been steadily IDing flowers for you for quite some time, yes? If you go back over those threads, pull out your pictures and our IDs, then you'll have a good start to a guide for yourself....

6. dbookbinder

I have considered compiling such a reference (and I do look through my flower database before I post here). The problem, for me, is that the differences in flowers that are actually the same type of flower overwhelm the similarities, and I'm therefore posting variations of the same theme, thinking they are different flowers. I have poor face recognition skills, too -- I never would have figured out Clark Kent was Superman -- so perhaps it's just a slow learning curve for me.

Thanks again,
    David

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years