Dracaena leaves breaking off

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by eppentorf, Nov 20, 2011.

1. eppentorf

eppentorf Member

Hi

my Dracaena is not feeling too happy. It grows well, the top grows fresh green leaves, however further down the stem leaves are droopy, hand down and tend to crack or even break off.

It was living outdoors until two weeks ago. Now it is indoor in a fairly bright spot. Watering about every two weeks. Also just repotted it to a larger pot.

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks for suggestions,

Alex

Attached Files:

2. theripetomato

theripetomato Member

I would suggest pH first. That and TDS (total desolved solids) could be the culprit.

3. eppentorf

eppentorf Member

Thank you, theripetomato.

According to the latest water report of my city: pH average = 8.5, TDS = 95ppm. Is that good or bad? :-) I guess to alternative would be to water with bottled water? Could pH really cause the lower leaves to break off, I did not know that!

The yellow spots on some of the leaves seem to be a secondary problem, or could that be caused by pH as well? Looks more like an infection to me (see attached marco picture)

Lets save the tree! :-) Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. theripetomato

theripetomato Member

That looks like fungus or rust to me. Could be infected, but often with house plants, the infection is secondary....they are in a weakened state because of conditions.

Not certain, but Dracaena could prefer acidic soils.