My introduction

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Orchidity, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Orchidity

Orchidity Member

Greetings all,

While I've perused these forums for the last couple of years looking for advice and tips, I think I am now fully addicted to Japanese maples and will become a more frequent lurker and commenter.

I got started with Japanese maples about three years ago, the folks at Eastwood Nurseries have been dear friends for over 30 years, and as fascinating as the two of them are, their greenhouses and the trees around their houses are almost equally a pleasure to visit with. Henry and Francie set me up with a few of their personal choices, a Mikawa yatsubusa, Olsen's Frosted Strawberry and Shu Shidare. These have been in large pots around my water garden patio and have been great to ease me into the hobby. I've learned how to prune and shape my trees as well as general care. The Shu Shidare and Olsen's Frosted Strawberry have just been planted into the ground, along with ten of the thirteen plants I've just purchased from Eastwood Nurseries. The other three, Shigitatsu Sawa, Shishigashira and Sister Ghost will find homes in pots to replace the new patio gaps.

The rest of the collection:

Aconitifolium
    O isami
    Ariadne
    Beni kawa
    Kamagata (2)
    Jiroh shidare
    Murasaki kiyohime
    Purple Ghost
    Omure yama

All now in the ground and mulched, awaiting the magic of mother nature.

As my handle might indicate, my other passion is orchids. Currently about 50 plants spread across perhaps 10 genera. I'm rather enjoying the combination of maples and orchids to both tax and reward me.

Questions, asks for advice and general conversation forthcoming.

Happy autumn!

2. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Welcome aboard!

I am not so much just a maple guy or a conifer guy or lilly guy myself but rather I dabble in each.

Please post some pictures. I woukd love to see them. My purple ghost sitting out plum in the middle of the yard is an interesting orang/green/purple right now. How is yours?

3. Orchidity

Orchidity Member

My Purple Ghost is small :) Colors are still burgundy/purple.

Since most of these are recently planted and I have 5 dogs, for awhile each is surrounded with cedar stakes for protection. Also, whether their greenhouse culture or our fickle weather is the culprit, I don't have a great deal of color change just yet. Beni Kawa and the two japonicums are quite colorful though. I will probably delay claiming bragging rights with photos until the spring season begins.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm so excited about my new trees (hard to tell, huh?).

4. Orchidity

Orchidity Member

After evaluating little gaps here and there I will be expanding the collection this spring to:

Beni ubi gohan
    Bihou
    Winter Flame
    Shishi Yatsubusa
    Sharps Pygmy
    Okushimo
    Villa Taranto

Comments, advice on any of these choices in my collection are most welcome.

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I own a winter flame. Poor little fella has had a rough life. Rabbit attacks.

Looms good this fall. Pretty routine over the summer.

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Once you start, it's hard to stop :) Just ask my husband how bad it is, I started the summer with no maples and now I have 30+ 1-4yr old trees.

You will LOVE the bihou, I know I do, even though mine is still just a tiny thing, can't wait for it to grow and fill out. I highly recommend Sherwood Elfin, Filigree, Hana Matoi, Squitty (how could you not have a plant with that name? lol), Kawaii, and ....