The adventures of Amazing maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by amazingmaples, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

WOW! such a kaleidoscope of colours,you're a bit ahead of us.I'm so jealous,most of my plants are usually nearly bald by the time they've fully turned.

2. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

Just amazing
    Thx
    Here in thé southwest of france
    The acers in thé driest part of the garden are mostly ugly
    The others are just Changing their colors
    Do you have favorites for autumn color? The most reliables?
    Thx again

3. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Very nice. Also your conifer collection is no less valuable. Maybe some time you can show it in detail too. I also wanted to ask you about the gorgeous wollemia nobilis, are they the second year with you? What is the mimimum teperature in winter there? You have some of them in the ground and some in containers, right? Thanks

4. Francis

Francis Active Member

Uauu,beautiful colours amazing a lots of variety.
    dont want to bother you but what cultivars are these:
    -The orange at 1.53 in the background?
    -2.29 the tall tree with white leaves?
    -At 2.37 gold leave?
    -And in 5.22 the pink one?

Regards.

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The colors are changing very fast in my garden.

As for the Wllemia noblis, this is the first year i have owned them. I have two in post which are wedged next to the house and should be protected. i have one planted in my garden which is some what protected.

here is a lit of the trees 1.53 Omura yama in front, Saku in the back; 2.29 Shojo no mai; 2.37 As Junihitoye; 5.22 Katsura

6. amazingmaples

7. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Those are great videos, but would be even better if you could say the name of each maple as you pass by. A few bits of info or your opinion about individual varieities would also be helpful. That would turn these videos from eye candy into brain food!

Either way, thanks for taking the time to make the videos. I always enjoy seeing images of your collection.

8. amazingmaples

Names have been added. Francis, the trees in the last section are my big trees which can not be moved easily.

I am still working on the list of trees and placing names to the video. There will be around 150 trees labeled with some duplicated trees

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. Francis

Francis Active Member

ah ok, thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That makes this a wonderful resource. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKh99..._order&list=UL)

maf, I'd recommend it for the Maples Resources page, as it's a fine overview of about 100 Japanese maple cultivars, showing tree and leaf shape and autumn colours.

amazingmaples, you could add to the YouTube description a list of the labelled trees (it would be handy if you could just get a list of the annotations right out of YouTube, but I'm guessing not).

11. amazingmaples

Another year has come and gone and I want to thank all of the people who came and supported me for this year.

Each year I keep learning more and more about the whole spectrum of japanese maples. This was a year full of leasons in business as i watched countless nurseries go bye bye. It is so easy for us to just think of them as beautiful trees and yet in most cases these trees are brought to use by skilled people working very hard.

I hope 2012 is a better year than 2011. I am looking forward to getting photos and videos of the great spring colors of 2012???.

charlie

12. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

charlie,
    I would like to thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures and providing me an opportunity to see the mature specimen looks of these amazing maples.
    Indeed, it is truly sad to see many of these nurseries that catered for speciety ornamental plants go.

13. Neko

Neko Member

Beautiful pictures, great garden and very inspiring.

I did browse over the whole thread from the beginning, and maybe I missed it on account of a horrible head cold right now, but I couldn't see any reference to your nursery/business.

Just curious to have a closer look, thanks

14. amazingmaples

Neko,

I started Amazing Maples back in 2007 as a hobby in my yard. Based on goverment rules and regulations i can not have a nursery at my house but I can have a design consultanting business there. With that I can give away trees to my clients.
    So at my house there are some 700 trees and on a regular basis I am getting new trees. It is always an adventure getting the trees since I look for the biggest and best. It is never an easy task to find the trees and with the last few years it gets tougher and tougher. As mentioned, many growers have closed their doors and the ones remaining have cut staff which has reduced inventory.
    I talk with the growers and they are looking more and more at reducing down the numbers a different types and trying to grow trees which sell. This alone with reduce the trees available. Added expenses such as taxes and fuel cost have not helped to the situation.
    For me, 2011 had the lowest totals of all my years. Luckly this is "just a hobby". For many people out there this is their real job. These are the people who deserve a great thanks. Their hard work brings us these amazing maples and other great plants. Their great work is reflected in my photos and videos.
    I try and provide as much information about the trees as i can and i will keep doing so.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. amazingmaples

16. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, the pictures are fantastic, but I would like to see a picture of you! I cannot imagine the strength you must have to move around the pots. Also, the watering...how ever do you keep up with that? And don't you ever have problems with wind blowing some over? Even close together it would seem like occasionally that would be a problem. Your garden would be a good advertisement for never growing anything in the ground again! Just amazing (maples):)
    Kay

17. amazingmaples

18. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Ah looks like it's gonna be another amazing show this year.I've never seen the original specimen of any cultivar so that'll be great to see and nice to know where it is for the future.....roll on spring!

19. amazingmaples

Well, 2012 is starting out pretty soggy here. We had record rains and one day of sun for the year. Here are some of my new additions. I planted the Kasagi yama and the Baby Ghost is off to the Kubota garden. The remaining are in containers ready to be photographed. The fist photo is of two 12' tall Purple ghost, one is still tied up and the other is to the right in a container.
    I added a Twombly's red Sentinel to the garden. It was a bit of an adventure getting it in but my trusty skateboard made it all possible. I supose a crane would have been he easy way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Looking forward to seeing them leaf out!!

21. amazingmaples

I finally had some leaves show up this weekend and the next thing I knew a trailer full of trees got a ride to new homes.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      190 KB
      Views:
  22. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

looks like you guys are having fun!

23. amazingmaples

There are always lots of smiling faces when people leaves with trees. Here is a new Twombly's red sentinel awaiting help to get it out of my truck.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      249.8 KB
      Views:
  24. amazingmaples

In the morning Miss piggy loves to follow you through the garden

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      340.8 KB
      Views:
  25. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Nice cat in a beautiful setting; I think she deserves a better name than Miss Piggy though!