Transplanting Crimson Frost Birch

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Leland, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Leland

Leland Member

I've got an 8 year old, 18' C.F. birch in the back corner of our property that I would like to transpant closer into the garden. I love the delicate sense the leaves show, but that's lost from any distance (ie in the back corner). Transplanting the whole tree is just too big of a job. I was wondering if it could be coppiced like some other birches and a smaller root ball (than it's obvious large root area at this age) be successfuly dug up and moved this fall or next spring. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks.

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Would not be much easier to plant another one?

3. Leland

Leland Member

True, but I already have to substantiate the cost of a lot of trees and shrubs with my better half. Replacing it, and starting over without that big rootball, would take 7 years or so to match it. I'm 51 now, (selfishly) I would rather nt wait that long again. Also, I regulary (like a hobby) visit the nurseries in our area and I've never seen it offered again since then. In fact, embarrasingly, I originally got it for a steal of $20 at, of all places, walmart. Go figure.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Birch trunks tend to rot out when wounded. Transplant it bare-rooted, when leafless, instead of cutting it off.