ultimate form of mulch?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pavol122, Oct 11, 2011.

1. pavol122

pavol122 Member

Hello, I've come across this mulching thingie and it seems to me like ultimate mulch for container grown ornamentals. What material is it made of? So far, we've used nonwoven textile covered with coarse sand as mulch but this thing just makes so much more sense. Anybody has some experience in using this kind of mulch? Is it worth it? Does it last at least 2 years or does it decompost quickly? And were can I actually buy it (under what name)

Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. pavol122

pavol122 Member

That's it. Thanks a lot although I didn't expect it to be that pricy. They ask 58 pence for each 20cm mulch mat. I would prefer buying bigger rolls of coir and cutting them into desired diameter myself. Now when I know what to look for I found this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/271421590/Garten_Kokos_Matte_Mat_Mulch_Mat.html

Only problem is that minimum order is 1000 rolls(1.5m x 0.5m), which is kinda insane xD but every 1,5m x 0,5m roll costs 0,47 - 6 dollars (depending on amount bought) and each roll makes about 50x 20cm mulch mats so price per mulch mat is only couple of pences. Now I have to find someone willing to sell couple hundreds of those rolls for reasonable price.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. pavol122

pavol122 Member

After long search I was able to find supplier of coir rolls for acceptable price. They sell 3x 35m rolls (300g/m2) for 300 Euros. 105 m2 will roughly make about 2600 coir mats which comes down to 8.6 cents a piece.

btw. Did anybody use coir before? My only fear is that they might not last longer than one season. We shall see...

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I use it all the time - you're looking at about 3-4 seasons before it starts to deteriorate, and that's based on outdoor use in the tropics. Presumably in Slovakia it will last longer, since in the winter it will be under snow which protects to a certain extent.