Canker on cherry tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mhern, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mhern

mhern Active Member

Help. Not sure if we have canker on this new cherry tree that we planted last spring. It is in an espalier form and the top branch is showing some sort of canker but I'm not so sure as I'm new to planting fruit trees. We thought we'll get some confirmation that it is really a canker before we chop the affected part off. Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Prune away. That is going to be difficult to manage. In the summer prune out infected twigs and branches well below the canker and sterilize your tools
    after each cut. Throw the branches into the cities compost pickup. I recommend only pruning on dry days with no wind.

There has been some success with copper sprays in the fall right after leaf drop, but they don't always work.

Richmond has a pesticide ban. Check with your city hall or search their website for any spraying restrictions and/or talk to some-one at a
    plant store. Perhaps go to "ERNI" on the east end of Westminster Highway close to the Sihk Temple.

3. mhern

mhern Active Member

Thanks David and thanks for mentioning ERNI, we're just a block away from them so we will.