Epiphyllums orchid cactus WON'T BLOOM

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pinkygreen, Oct 1, 2011.

1. pinkygreen

pinkygreen Member

After much frustration, I finally found the name of this cactus (on this site of course lol). I thought it was a Christmas Cactus because the stems were somewhat similar but upon closer inspection: not exactly. When it was given to me I remember hearing something about it being a Orchid and that is what confused me; I could not find a photo of it. I believe I have correctly identified it; however, I am open to correction. Okay now here's the issue: why has it never bloomed? As you can see in the photo it is growing like a weed but that's about it. I WANT flowers! Can someone help me out? PS...I always keep it in the window facing the south; it seems to love the bright sun. Thanks. Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The problem is you are trying to grow it as a house plant. Hence the stringy growths, also. Needs a bright, cool and humid greenhouse - or comparable situation.

3. pinkygreen

pinkygreen Member

Thanks for the reply Ron, however I am still confused. How is the growth supposed to look? I've checked out pictures and it seems that it is the way it is supposed to be. And my late aunt, had one hanging in the living room that looked like mine but it was gigantic! And it bloomed. Can someone post a picture so I will know what it is supposed to look like? Thanks again!

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The stems should be broader and, if the conditions are very good, fleshier. I have not grown many of these, and it was a long time ago, so I am not the best person to advise about their care. I tried to give them a lot of light in summer (they are often grown outside, under a tree or on a balcony), and I gave them no or very little water in winter. Some people claim that they should not be repotted until after they have bloomed, otherwise they will grow instead of forming buds. That is something I can neither deny nor confirm, but it can be worth trying.