repotting a jade tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marie, Nov 1, 2005.

1. marie

marie Member

I have a fairly large jade tree that really needs repotting. It has been in the same pot & soil for about 6 years and I'm sure it is root bound. However, I do not want it to grow any larger. It is already too large to fit easily through doorways and I need to take it outside for a bath once in awhile. Should I trim the roots and top a just put it back in the same pot? Would that hurt/kill it?

2. LoganD

LoganD Member

Jade trees are pretty tough plants, and doing what you suggest probably wouldn't hurt it. Freshening up the soil may encourage more growth though, and you don't want that.

As long as the plant seems happy, even if root-bound, you might consider just leaving it where it is.

Does the tree bloom for you? This is the time of year for them to bloom (mine are), so even if you do decide to repot, you might consider waiting for spring.

3. marie

marie Member

Yes, it does usually blossom for me around Christmas. It gets covered in sprays of tiny star-like white flowers that have a delicate fragrance. However, it did not blossom last Christmas. Otherwise it seems to be doing alright. It is quite a large tree and transplanting it will be difficult so I'll probably take your advice and wait until it shows signs of trouble. Maybe I can rig up some kind of pulley system next summer and just hoist it out of it's pot, trim it - top & bottom - and replant it in fresh soil. One thing about jades they do take well to pinching back their leaves; just wasn't sure about trimming the roots. Thanks for your reply, Marie