Fire at/near the UBC Botanical Garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by jimmyq, Sep 6, 2011.

1. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

W, no problem, I listen to it in the background once in a while, tonight it was interesting. I am supposed to be proofing and reviewing an exam in development for a horticulture certification right now, lol, its due to be sent by tomorrow morning, finding it hard to concentrate.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That feed is like going to the airport to watch the planes come in and listening to the control tower (on someone else's receiver). I've been on a few flights that let you listen to the control tower too.

I don't know how you tear yourself away, but I'm going to do it NOW. They're making progress but it's travelling and they can't get to it from above and it's too far away for the water boat. It's hard to figure out. It's going to have to do whatever it is without me now. I hope I've missed it all when I wake up. And if I haven't, they'll be able to get air support.

Good luck on your paper, Paul. I don't know how you're managing to work on it at all.

Uh-oh, exposure is going up-slope, not just side-slope. Fire's grown 40% in size, prolonged event, will be tied up for quite a few hours. I'll have to catch them in the morning. Good-night.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What news??? Forum still online so I am assuming that UBC has not yet been consumed by flames.
    Updates, please!

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

UBC forest fire

Hope that the fire will not affect the garden. CBC has reported that the friends of the garden are helping. Many thanks to them.
    Margaret

5. wcutler

The sky is clear, no comments about it for the 11 minutes I've been listening. Now I've just heard "t5 is clear of activity at UBC". They're still on-scene - I just heard engine 1 get a message to phone someone, but otherwise, no reports. I think I just heard a report about packing up equipment.

They could have had air support three hours ago. I wonder if that's how they got it out.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Forest fire breaks out near UBC's Wreck Beach

The garden is closed today. Fire crews expect to be here throughout the day -- they've commandeered our parking lot. No danger to any structures on campus at the moment, nor is any expected.

Might be some long term issues with salt water being used to control the fire ultimately killing the vegetation and leading to additional cliff erosion (which is always a concern on the edge of campus).

7. jimmyq

Thanks for the update Daniel. So far I am running a bit late for work after staying up so late trying to keep abreast of the event. Thanks to the fire crews that worked their butts off on what seems to be very tough terrain to control this fire.

8. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like the fire crews are winding down. The helicopter with bucket stopped about a half an hour ago and the activity in the parking lot is more relaxed. We're still getting occasional smoke from down the hill and the fire hoses are still pumping, so I'd guess there is still a lot of smoldering duff.

I was blissfully unaware until the news report at 6:00 this morning. Unfortunately, today was the first day back for the Friends of the Garden (our volunteers). We normally have a big salmon barbecue to welcome them back, but as the garden is closed, we've had to cancel the event. What to do with all that salmon and potato salad? We're having a big barbecue for the fire-fighters who have been here all night.

9. wcutler

Thanks, Daniel and Douglas. Those photos were impressive. What fire fighters can do is just amazing. I'm glad you'll be able to reward them (though I haven't heard any mention of the food; I thought they were phoning in everything). Engine number one will be draining for two hours. They've been turning off one hydrant and shutting down.

10. wcutler

Fireboat 5 asked if they could leave, were told that there would be a meeting at noon, after which they would have their answer, they should stand by till then. And there's a medical issue on engine 1.

Gotta get my life back. Fortunately, there's not much going on to listen to here.

11. jimmyq

Doug, sorry to leave you out of the loop overnight, I tried! :) And kudos for feeding the crews, from the radio transmission I heard those folks were working hard in tough conditions, glad they managed to control things.

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would've called Douglas last night had there been anything to be concerned about with respect to the Garden -- and maybe some of the horticulturists, in order to start the irrigation lines if that was a concern.

13. jimmyq

That's what we assumed. :)

14. Daniel Mosquin

The lunch is all done. Had more than a few dozen firefighters and other related fire containment workers come in to enjoy.

My understanding is that the fire is 95% extinguished / contained, and that they are not expecting it to flare up again. They will be continuing to work on it throughout the day and overnight again (likely).

15. wcutler

So word must have got around. I don't think there were that many people when I heard one of the headcounts last night. ;)

That was an interesting comment about the salt water and its possible effect on the cliff, Daniel. Maybe following up on that could be part of a (student?) project or course material.

16. Daniel Mosquin

Oh, there were Metro Van Parks staff, emergency responders, traffic control etc. Quite a big operation, altogether.

I suspect any potential cliffside issues will be looked after by geotechnical engineers from Metro Vancouver -- if I recall correctly, they are the ones who assess and monitor the cliffs.

17. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Am greatly relieved to read that all is well with both people and UBC.
    Thanks to the intrepid firefighters! And what an excellent idea to give them the salmon feast.
    Thanks also to jimmyq*, Daniel, Wendy, and Douglas for keeping us all informed.

*Hope that you got your exam done and submitted!
    I think that this deadline should be extended, due to your tireless (and tiring!) monitoring of this potentially deadly situation. Much appreciated.
    Get some rest!