Moving Weigela Florida Veriegata, advice?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Beerslinger, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Beerslinger

Beerslinger Member

Hi, I'm working in an overgrown garden bed, containing a Rhodo, a weigela florida verigata, and tons of heather. The bed was unworked for years and has salmon berries coming up through it. I'm able to get to the salmon berry roots without moving the rhodo, and a small amount of the heather. The larger pile of heather is all going to have to be cut back so I can see around the base of the weigela. I'm hoping to save it, by moving it out of the spot, digging out the salmon berry roots, then returning it to this spot. I was going to place it in a garbage can as a temporary pot.

I'm not sure what the Weigela's chances of survival are, as I can't seem to find much info on their root structure, if they're hard to transplant or anything. Is anyone familiar with these shrubs?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Liable to shrivel dug now but probably won't die.

3. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

I have several and have moved them a few times, I find the first summer after a move they are spindly and don't leaf out well but then tend to bounce back the 2nd year and do fine.

4. Leland

Leland Member

I've also moved mine a couple of times whie it was dormant and it hasn't been a problem. (I'm also in sw BC)