Is my young Monkey Puzzle tree ok?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by fuzzygirl, Aug 31, 2011.

1. fuzzygirl

fuzzygirl Member

Greater Vancouver Regional District, BC, Canada
    I received my Monkey Puzzle tree (affectionately called Pokey) as a grad gift from my family in May 2011. I am a bit worried because it seems to be leaning over and the branches drooping.

It was in a smaller container from the nursery. We planted it in a bigger container until it gets a bit bigger then we will plant it in the front yard.

I drilled holes in bottom of container for drainage. The nursery recommended to plant it in enriched topsoil (potting soil, steer manure, peat, compost) and put bone meal in the hole before putting tree in. I have been watering it with liquid transplanter solution a few times a week. Just yesterday I put Evergreen fertilizer (time released pellets) around soil edge. I also tried to slope the soil away from the tree as the nursery indicated it could get root rot from having "wet feet".

My concerns are the plant is really leaning over and the branches are drooping (sorry to repeat my self) and the new growth is looking somewhat lighter green. I am wondering if the soil is too rich and not draining enough?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want this plant to thrive...hopefully I have not damaged it. I have attached some pictures from today.

Thank you in advance.

PS - I live in the Greater Vancouver area to give you an idea of climate. There are quite a few larger Monkey Puzzle trees in my neighbourhood, with a very large one about 3 stories high so it appears they can thrive in my area.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd discontinue the fertilizer and get it in the ground. Inspect roots for kinking and circling, pull them open when planting. Mulch after planting. Full sun, good drainage, room for an eventual landmark tree. No proximity to anything that might be hit (and bothered) by falling cone fragments, should it turn out to be a pistillate specimen.

3. fuzzygirl

fuzzygirl Member

Thanks for your reply Ron.

When you said to discontinue fertilizer, does this mean no transplanter solution and no Evergreen fertilizer?

4. fuzzygirl

fuzzygirl Member

Well the tree is now planted in the ground. As I suspected, the lower soil was extremely wet and almost to the point of being mucky/muddy in the bottom of the container. I see some of the leaves on lower branches are turning a bit brown now. Ugh. Hopefully I haven't killed it.

Anyway, can only hope for the best now. Hopefully I can report back in a few months with some good news.

Thank you.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years