Acer palmatum 'Baby Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Johnny, those other Baby Laces look almost as good as the first one! I'd do the one on the left for a bonsai; the one on the right looks a little bit "too" even...But they are both beautiful plants!

David

2. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Here is a shot of all three of mine.
    I think it's been a little over a month since I've had my first one, and a little over 3 weeks for the other two.
    The branches look like they're getting longer ever so slowly...
    But I just wanted to post some more pictures :-D

Attached Files:

3. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells Baby Lace? I had one and unfortunately, it died this spring of mystery maple wilt. I was so disappointed; it is such a lovely little tree. I have been looking since then for a replacement, but have had no luck. I would appreciate any leads. THANK Y'ALL!

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

5. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Also Worldplants has it but it is currently sold out. Also there is Whitman Farms--their price for a small "graft" is 14.00 plus S/H. Good luck!

David

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just found out Fantastic Plants has them in stock!!

http://fantasticplants.com/

These are grafted on a 3' standard (high graft - see pic) and the price: $139.95

Regards,

K4

Attached Files:

7. spookiejenkins

WOW! Thanks Y'all!!! I'm gettin' me one.

8. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

No problem! I am going to get my Baby Lace from Whitman Farms sometime ASAP.

David

9. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Oh nice.... I'll probably get one since its all nice and bigger than those ones I have :-D

10. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Johnny if you're going to get a bigger one, then you could send a little one down here! I'd even pay shipping!

LOL
    David

11. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi all,

Well I FINALLY got in my Baby Lace--and the "small" graft is HUGE! It is absolutely wonderful! Right now it's going through an orangy phase but I'm sure that it will change again before the leaves fall. It apparently was budded because I see a very small callous--only in one little spot. But it is very vigorous and appears to have grown at least 2 spurts this year--so I think that it will be bigger than I imagine it to be in a very short time. Definitely a wonderful, changeable cultivar and one of my favorites. Also, quite a few of the leaves are less than an inch long and most are not as big as normal, so I think that as it gets older, I will see some of that "fingernail sized foliage"--very intersting--I can't wait to see it. In fact two of the leaves are actually the size of my thumbnail, so we will see. Here are some pictures, taken today, August 22.

David

Attached Files:

12. spookiejenkins

Hey MapleMan!

That is a gorgeous new Baby! I just love this little tree. I still haven't found one that I feel secure in ordering/shipping, so I am still on the hunt. My trusty number one source for JM's, Sam at Eastfork, does not carry this cultivar. :(

May I ask where you got that HUGE and lovely graft?

13. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi Spookiejenkins,

I purchased my tree from Whitman Farms (www.whitmanfarms.com). She was very nice and I think that she might still have some of the smallest size (the grafts for $14.00--the size that I bought!). If not she has 1 gallons which are older for $25.00. Definitely a beautiful tree and I am very impressed with Whitman so far!

Hope that helps,
    David

14. spookiejenkins

Hi David/MapleMan,

Thanks so much for the recommendation to Whitman farms... My usual maple dealer (pun intended) does not carry the 'Baby Lace', so I didn't really know where to turn to get my fix!

I spoke with Lucile and she was very helpful and friendly - and even sent me a photo of the 4" grafts she had left to make sure I understood the size. I really appreciate that! The one I bought was definitely not as full as yours, but no less perfect. I really prefer the small size actually... I like they way they look when they are very small. Larger ones can appear "messy" to me. :) Anyway, my tiny tree arrived all safe and sound too - travelling from coast to coast - amazing.

So, I am in total agreement with you about Whitman Farms and Lucile. Thank you again for your help!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My Baby Lace provides interesting colors throughout the growing season, so I decided to post this photo taken October 18, 2007 showing its autumn color in southern Oregon. This particular Baby Lace is situated very near a pond in bright filtered light and seems to thrive in this location: it's growing rapidly and is becoming denser each year.

Attached Files:

16. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey y'all! It's that time of year again...that's right, my 'Baby Lace' is starting to come out! It continues to amaze me; even though it's not getting much bigger, it's getting denser, like mapledia's. Here are a couple of pictures from the other day. Leaves are already smaller than last year's...I can't wait until their VERY small. They look like little jewels...

David

Attached Files:

17. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I walked by one today at amazingmaples and about gave myself whiplash. It was so cool looking I had to bring it home. I'm so excited to watch it through the seasons because the previous photos and descriptions are simply mouth watering!

Attached Files:

18. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Boo hoo. snivel snivel. Mine died.

19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Baby lace is another tree on my buyer beware list. I really doubt I will buy another one,

20. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I have two Baby Lace trees (about 5 and 7 years old) and thus far have had no problems with them whatsoever. Both appear to grow denser each year, and I'm happy with this cultivar. The left photo shows spring color at the end of April and the right photo was taken 10/13/2009.

Attached Files:

21. DelsJapaneseMaples

DelsJapaneseMaples Member

Out of the few hundred we have grafted of this variety, you would think we had a nice enough one to take some scion from! Sadly we do not! If there is anyone that would like to share some scion, I might be able to return the favor too! with lots of dwarf varieties of mature age's at 30 plus yrs. I might be able to find one you've been looking for! Just maybee!

Johnathan!!

22. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Some people can grow this tree large, for me I have not had the luck.

Attached Files:

• 182.jpg
      182.jpg
      File size:
      323.3 KB
      Views:
  23. DelsJapaneseMaples

DelsJapaneseMaples Member

Well I would say!! It is a nice plant!

24. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

This is a dissectum I'm interested in, however I'm concerned with how well it might do in the extreme heat and humidity we can get here in Kansas - especially after a summer like this one, 95+ nearly every day since early June. My little maples are most definitely NOT feeling the love... If anyone can give me an idea of how it might do, I'd appreciate it! :)

25. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Do you have a protected place in your garden? I find that my Baby Laces have done their best in filtered light. Heat and humidity don't seem to bother them, but direct sunlight in hot locations will kill them every time. I have the luxury of having a canopy of madrones over much of my gardens, and under that canopy, the maples receive indirect but bright light. And it normally gets very, very hot in Oregon. But my Baby Laces have done very well as long as they are protected for intense light, still have some sun, lots of water, aren't too crowded with other plants nearby, and they aren't in a huge area of drafts. For some reason, they seem to resent areas where it's windy or where drafts are common. Still, this is a great cultivar. Don't sweat the temperature nor the humidity. Just keep the placement of the plant protected from lots of direct sun, drafts, and provide it with enough nutrients and water.