Another Noob Question Regarding Planting a Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kanuni, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

The attached picture is from an imported Bloodgood that I am planning to plant in late fall when the tree goes dormant. The tree is about 7' tall.

I am trying to pay attention to the root flare and to plant at the correct depth but I can't figure it out for this one. As can be seen from the picture, the root flare and attached roots is visible on one side, but on the other side the root flare seems deeper (I dug a little bit with my fingers).

How should I plant this one? Prune the visible roots at the right side and dig out more so that the root flare is visible all around the trunk? Or should I just plant it in this current depth that I received from the nursery (should I cover the visible roots with soil as well?) ?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. xman

xman Active Member

I have seen this in a few of my trees when I got them initially. This was probably caused by the tree being planted too deep, or mulch being piled on one side of the tree. In the case of my trees, I have always raised the tree so that the root flare is above soil. Some of these trees have roots starting an inch above soil level before entering the soil, looks nice actually.

xman

3. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

So, I should even remove more soil below those visible roots?

4. xman

xman Active Member

You will have base your decision on a few things when you re-plant in fall.

1) Is there a root flare on the other side?
    2) Are the visible root predominantly fibrous or woody? If woody, there is few issues with them being shown out of the soil. if they are fibrous, you cannot have them visible over the soil.
    3) What percentage of the overall root structure do you think the visible roots are? If the visible roots are insignificant compared to the overall roots, I would sacrifice those roots to raise the tree to the correct height.
    4) On the other hand, I have read on a few sites that trees planted an inch or two below the flare still do ok. But personally, I think the root flare adds a tremendous amount of character to a tree.

xman

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks to me as though this tree is in a pot. If so it can be planted right away, and you have no need whatsoever to prune any roots. I would tease out some of the roots in the root ball before planting. Personally I would not have any issue with some of the roots being above ground ( or conversely some of the roots being slightly below)

6. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

It may not be clear in the photo, but to the right of the trunk, there is a thicker woody root and all the thinner fibrous thinner roots there connect to this part of the root. Also at the left of the trunk, you can see the root flare. (I dug at the trunk base for an inch or two to make the flare visible.)

The visible roots are only a small percentage of the overall root structure. The tree is about 7' tall and the diameter of the trunk is 2''. The pot is quite small and I believe it would be replaced with a bigger one if I didn't buy it because the roots are badly crowded, many of them came up to the surface. Root circling is quite visible even at the top of the rootball with many thin roots above. I will have to tease the roots all around the rootball a lot I guess. Maybe pruining the rootball 1-2 inches is a better idea?

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

You haven't changed my mind about what I would do :)

8. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

OK, considering your experience, I will do what you advise. :)

Thanks everyone for your help.