transplanting rhododendrun

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bumblebee, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

I need to transplant a rhodo. It is small ( about 2'6"), well established and
    flowers profusely. It is in shade, under a large pine tree. However, the branches
    of the tree are bending down onto the rhodo, so I want to move it forward a little
    although it will still be in shade. For various reasons, I need to move it now and
    not wait until Fall, although it is still a little hot here in Southern Ontario.
    What can I do to safeguard it, apart from watering it well.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Bonemeal of course and peat moss. Put lots of light mulch over the rootzone. Monitor....not much you can do really, in my opinion.

3. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Have you considered removing the lower branches of your tree? You may need to anyway to get at the rhodo without damaging the tree.

I would water the rhodo well, like you've already stated. Pre-dig the new home and add the compost or peat mosss. Then, fill the new pit with water and let that soak in while you dig up the rhodo and place it immediately in the pre-dug hole. Cover with topsoil and water it enought to establish without over watering.

4. jessiehewong

jessiehewong Active Member

Since you are just moving it a very short distance, I would dig it out with a huge root ball, then put it in the new spot. Water well, should be fine.
    I did that before in Vancouver. It was very fine.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

Many thanks for all the replies to my query. The rhodo is now transplanted and
    has settled well into its new place.