Identification: help me identify this baby cooking herb

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by questionable, Aug 5, 2011.

1. questionable

questionable Member

i planted these from a store bought 'make your own' at home herb garden kit. i have completely forgotten what the middle one is. i do remember that its seeds were extremely small (as small as seeds get) and brown. i was told it looks like thyme but im not so sure. it tastes pine-y have u ever smelt gin? kinda tastes like that smells.. hope this is enough information

Attached Files:

2. Ramona

Ramona Member

Hi Q,
    I've grown herbs before and the middle one, in my opinion, looks very much like thyme. If you already know what thyme smells and tastes like, and that's why you say "i'm not so sure" then may I suggest it may be either watercress - esp. if you say it tastes "pine-y" and strong like gin - or maybe rocket? Both these herbs have the above attributes.

3. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

you might post again when the plant matures a bit if still in doubt.

4. questionable

questionable Member

it would definately be something every day since it is a herb garden starter kit. something like maybe oregano or thyme. i was told it looks like oregano too

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It looks like sweet marjoram to me, but it could be oregano. It's not likely to be thyme; the leaves aren't shiny enough.

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

8. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

Thyme leaves are a bit narrower and lighter in color at that size. I would say it is probably oregano of some sort, but your best bet for identifying general types of herbs at that size is to take one of the leaves and compare its taste to the dried herbs. If you have some dried oregano and thyme I would do that.

(Also typically sweet basil, oregano, and parsley are sold in the kits together.)