Bamboozled

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Ruhkus, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jimmer

jimmer Member

Hey Ruhkus
    In my experience with Fargesia nitida, a smaller cane species.... it is the outer canes tends to lean outward as they grow taller.... F. robusta is heavier caned species and tends to be more self supporting, but from soccerdads experience, once snowfalls you would likely have to tie it back...... or chop it back, which is an alternative as they will sprout back.....
    As for bamboos getting past Press Treated, it will likely grow under or between the boards, or thru in some years as the lumber rots out, thats why most recommend an 18" deep stiff plastic barrier, below root zone and won't rot out...... Still my 'clumping' F. nitida only expanded about 1-2 inches per year uncontained.... they don't spread the 1-2 foot per year that 'running' bamboos tend to....... note 'clumping' versus 'running' bamboos.... two diff natures of bamboos

As for 'cedars', unless your referring to 'arbor vitae' the columnar form of Thuja occidentalis..... most will soon spread branches as wide as the bamboo leans out....... 'arbor vitae' are the too familiar, much used 'cedar' that you see in many hedges in residential screens.... they can become 4-5' wide in time but not likely in your residence time.... unless you plan on retiring there....... say like 15-20 years, hard to be exact as these are living plants and subject to many factors........
    The main problem with arbor vitae is they are slow to gain much height and form a tall screen.... and they are just so monotonous and omnipresent in the average landscape.......

Here in Willamette Valley, OR, 'Italian cypress', Cupressus sempervirens is just as columnar or more, and seems to put on height lot quicker than arbor vitae.... though I'm not sure how it fares in your more northern climes..... we are zone 6-7 here, and get the winter rains as you likely do... but Italian cypress have a reputation of being more finicky..... be it wet, cold, poor drainage, hard to say, they are native to the Mediterranean ...... but generally they fare well here...... also more $$, so less used.... and they too will in time, outgrow your planters, again maybe 15-20 years???

To become better informed.......I find a copy of 'Sunset Western Garden Book' a good standard, and driving around looking at landscapes and visiting nurseries a good way to learn.... thats where I started anyway..... and good ole Sunset still a handy quick reference, and a good way to learn the more precise 'latin names' that will avoid some of the confusion of common names, such as 'cedar' or 'bamboo'......
    Also I suggest starting with smaller plants, they adapt quicker, cheaper more expendable, and give you a chance to see what you are in for...... if need to cut it down and start over, there's always more where that came from........

2. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

If you want to find out if particular bamboos are hardy or their growth habits in the lower mainland, best to visit a nursery that grows them here. That will give you the best idea. Southlands nursery has a few different species. I also found this website doing a google search:

http://www.bamboobotanicals.ca/

The nurseries in Oregon have a more mild climate than we do so the growth habits may not be as same as for us in the lower mainland.

3. jimmer

jimmer Member

Hey Bloom good advice.. and sometimes get enough variation amoung clones of same species, that what someone has here, may not be quiet the same as what you have there....... always nice to see first hand...... and get more familiar with what's out there while you at it......

Also like that website...... nice pics, and haven't seen that Thamnacalmus crassinodus around here.... appears to be more branched and a bit more tender than the African T. tessulatus we get around here..... and interesting to see an Asian species of Thamnacalmus and that its more tender than the African..... who'd a thought.....

Have seen the T. tessulatus billed as the only African species of bamboo, but while watching a program on mountain gorillas noticed they had
    fairly large, open branched bamboos in background... not at all like the T. tessulatus we get here........ looks like need to do some research on what is really there in African bamboos....... keeps life interesting

4. fridgidbamboo

fridgidbamboo Member

Consider semiarundinaria fastuosa for your hedge. It is very vertical and narrow, the look is very nice; they call it noble bamboo. The canes become different shades of red with time. It is not an aggressive spreader. It is quite cold hardy. Go watch pictures on Google. I think it fits your criterions.