Sensitive alpine silver thread and olsens frosted strawberry?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zonebreaker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

I have been having problems with these two, olsens frosted strawberry and alpine silver thread (my favorite) both leafing out fine but they seems extremly sensitive against wind!
    they have the same placement as villa taranto, flamingo, orange dream,mm and those two are the only ones with these problems. they all are in calm area in my garden but ocatinaly wind blows there(sorry for the bad english). I'm having troubble finding a calmer place in my garden. (until the bigger trees grow bigger.....) advise?

Zonebreaker

2. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I have a few reticulated maples that are really struggling this year. Both my 'peaches and cream' and 'mikazuki' are hanging onto life by a thread. Also my 'Higasa Yama' isn't doing so well. I have noticed some of these maples having a hard time in other places as well. i wonder if there is something about the weather this year (at least in Oregon) that these types don't like.

Have yours done well in the past couple years?

3. zonebreaker

same problem last year , a little bit of wind and leafs shrivel up and than it looses the leaves. And a weak second flush.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in my garden after two years problem with hot wind finish,the exposition is ligth shade for Olden.f.s. and full sun for Alpine s. t.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi zonebreaker,
    are your palmatums in the ground or in pots?

Gomero

6. zonebreaker

Pots, osakizuki is the only one in the ground .

7. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

For what it's worth, I've heard another JM fan mention that his Olsen's Frosted Strawberry is a very slow grower.

Mine was in a fairly windy location this year and didn't seem to notice at all. I seem to recall fretting about it last year but I don't remember when or why. Regardless, it bounced back and has looked sassy all year (although teeny tiny). Re: growth rate, it's not putting on extreme amounts of growth. But it's at the baby twig stage so it's kind of hard for me to judge.

8. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

i have an approx 3 year old olsens and am a bit disappointed with the slow growth, time will tell with this one. if i could have redone my purchase i would have forked over a few more bucks and got a bigger one....