Male Hardy Kiwi source

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cgjedi, Jul 27, 2011.

1. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

I'm trying to find a source for a male hardy kiwi - either some cuttings (for grafting) or rooted plants. Three years ago I bought a couple of female hardy kiwis and what I "thought" was a male. Well after several years of pruning properly, the "male" finally flowered this year but it turned out to be a female. I really am disappointed with the mislabling at the nursery where I bought it from - and told them about it.

They are willing to make things right - except this year they can find no male hardy kiwi anywhere. I've tried other nurseries but nothing either.

So....I live in Surrey and am hoping someone within driving distance needs to prune their male vine and would be willing to give me their leftovers. Or maybe someone knows where they are selling rooted plants.

Thanks.

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

If by "hardy kiwi" you mean actinidia arguta, then it's worth noting a male fuzzy kiwi (a. deliciosa) will work as a pollinator-1 male for every 8 females. Might be easier to find. I've seen the hardy self-fertile variety "Issai" available locally, and in a pinch this one will act as a pollinator....though it's not as effective as a true male.

3. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually am already growing Issai along with Anna. One of the reasons I got Issai is because I too read that it could function as a pollinator. In my yard, it does not. Both last year and this year, Issai and Anna flowered. Issai is full of fruit. Anna has not had a single fruit in either year even though it had even more flowers than Issai. That's why I was so looking forward to the "male" to finally flower this year.

I also read that the deliciosa male will work as well. However, the bloom periods often don't overlap enough so I would be taking much more of a risk than if I found an arguta male.

4. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

I'm so disappointed in this board. Out of all the people that frequent it, I find it hard to believe not a single person is growing a male arguta vine? Is no one helpful enough for a few cuttings?

5. woodschmoe

Your disappointment stems from a misunderstanding: this board is here to pose and answer questions, not a service to source, acquire and deliver free plant material on demand. Time spent chastising those who have helped you to date could have been better spent by googling local nurseries: I assure you, the plant you are seeking is available locally...but I'm not going to do it for you. Hope that helps.

6. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I'd like to add that kiwi is not as widespread as you may think. Of all my gardening friends, I don't know anyone who grows it. And in fact, I've never seen it at any of my local nurseries. I don't grow it because I'm allergic to kiwi.

Of the group that does grow it, I think there's a small minority who actually know the difference between a male and a female, or even that there *is* a male and a female. Most growers just think, "wow, I have a lot of fruit!"; they don't even know why or that kiwi plants are dioecious.

Last this board does not have a thousand people on at any one time (not often anyway). So there's a chance that someone will read this and reply.

I would be delighted to give you a cutting if I had one. I do have some siberian iris rhizomes I'd be willing to share or some of my native Lonicera ciliosa, or several other things. I'm confident that if anyone had some, you would hear about it.

7. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

Wow, are you people uppity. It's just a simple request. You'll notice I waited a whole year to see if there was a reply. And I already have tried every single nursery locally before I try this board in a vain last attempt.

8. woodschmoe

Port Kells Nursery (in Surrey to boot) has them in stock right now (and usually does). In your neck of the woods, no less.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Re pollination of A. arguta by A. deliciosa, I have an unexpected experiment taking place this year because my male arguta died suddenly just as its flower buds were swelling. However, I have a male deliciosa vine nearby; so I will soon find out how effective its pollination is. So far, everything seems to be proceeding quite well, with the new arguta fruits getting to a decent size and not dropping.

10. plantnerd

plantnerd Member

I would also like to add that at the greenhouse I work at we carry actinida (kiwi) vines in a gallon pot with trellis. Male on one side of the trellis, female on the other side. By far, a great way to grow and sell kiwi vine. This way the customer will NOT be dissapointed!