Emerald green hedging cedars

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Bodger2, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

I am thinking of purchasing about 13 Emerald green hedging cedars (Thuja occidentalis) that are about 4' to 6' high. I see that my local Rona store has the 4' ones for $14.99 and the 6' ones for $19,99. Are these considered a good price? Or would it be cheaper to find a tree farm that will deliver such a small order. If so can anybody link me up with a good seller with fair prices in the Greater Vancouver area.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Yes that is a good price for this region. (Vancouver, Canada) I can't get them much cheaper from my wholesaler unfortunately.

Wholesalers usually don't sell to the general public and you would have to go through a landscaper who deals with them. There will probably be a mark-up on the product to cover potential plant losses on a one year warrantly. Also, the landscaper has to charge for delivery and installation.

If you purchase a small amount from Revy, they should replace any plants that might die.

I take off the burlap and throw away all of that non-biodegradable twine they use to drumlace the rootballs. Keep in mind though, that removing the burlap may void the growers warranty.

When you unload your trees, lift them on the trunk close to the rootball and also have a hand under the rootball. Don't let the tree slip and hit the ground. If you drop the rootball, the tree might not survive.

3. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Thanks. I thought that was a good price. The person at Rona said the markup was very low on them. They are in pots not in burlap. They look pretty nice and bushy. Hopefully none will die, fingers crossed.