Identification: is it a cactus or....?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ariani, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

IS it a cactur os something else?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, a cactus, in the genus Epiphyllum or similar close relative.

3. jessiehewong

jessiehewong Active Member

This is epiphyllum oxypetalum. There is red flower, white flower, that I know of.
    How do you get it to flower? I planted both white and red types, they don't flower, so far.
    Thanks.
    jessie

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Definitely not Epiphyllum oxypetalum. It is a true species and has only white flowers (large). The stems are different too, with long, thin stems with a circular cross-section and flat, broad, leaf-like stems that grows out from the first form.
    I cannot recall any Epiphyllum species with red flowers, but there is another genus that has: Disocactus. The most common in cultivation are the many thousand hybrids between Epiphyllum and other genera (Disocactus, Hylocereus, Selenicereus), so it is most likely one of these (examples here). An old orange/red-flowered hybrid called x Epiphyllum 'Ackermannii' is one of most frequently encountered (not to be confused with the species Disocactus ackermannii).

5. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Mandarin is correct - Epiphyllum are flat and do not create 4 ribs like the one in the photo.

Ribbed pendant cacti are Acanthocereus, Discocactus, Hylocereus, Lepismium, Weberocereus, Rhipsalis, and Selenicereus. Flat pendant cacti are Pseudorhipsalis, Schlumbergera, and Epiphyllum.