where can I get .... GIANT fern varieties ????

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ricardomaya, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ricardomaya

ricardomaya Member

I am looking to find some GIANT fern varieties, outdoor, indoor or greenhouse.
    anything,,,,having a hard time with the names too.

I have seen a few around on the web, where can I buy spores or plants.

and what about ordering plants by mail from outside Canada, can I get them past Homeland Security, and Agri Canada ?

thanks...any help with be welcome

Ricardo_maya_2@hotmail.com

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

How big do you want them? I have the local Sword Fern (Polystichum munitum) growing in my garden. With regular mulching & a partial shade it gets to be about 5 feet high & 6-7 feet across. Is that big enough? The local Lady Ferm (Athyrium felix-femina) can get higher than my head & is probably the biggest fern in the Fraser Valley, by my observation. These are both often available at local garden centres, or you can probably find a neighbour, family member or friend with a large suburban lot who can give you one from a shady conrer. Lovely plants, low care & can be used as a feature.

3. ricardomaya

ricardomaya Member

what??????????? really ....wow I had no idea they could get that large.
    that is exciting to hear!

I was thinking more about the tree frens, I think the comon name for one is tasmanian, I saw one with orange on its lower hairs. PNG organe giant.

do you have any photos of your plants online?

I live in Nanaimo.

cheers

Ricardo

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I don't know much about Tree Ferns, except a neighbour of mine had one & wrapped it up in old carpet every winter - too much like hard work for lazy-me. One year it froze or otherwise expired anyway.

You inspired me to take some pics. The straightedge is 4 feet. Left - Athyrium felix-femina. Middle - Polystichum munitum. These will grow some more yet. Right - The view with 3 kinds of ferns & assorted foliage things is my personal tiny bit of "rainforest" that I see from my living room windows.

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. ricardomaya

ricardomaya Member

The American Fern Society Spore Exchange... yes thanks!

very nice plants !!! thanks for sharing the photos,,,what a really nice place !

ricardo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011