Flowering on Philodendron Bipinnatifidum

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by stephenie, May 28, 2011.

1. stephenie

stephenie Member

I have this in my Courtyard here in Spain. I'm not sure if it is one of the house plants we brought over from the UK or if I bought it here but I have had it for several years and it has only recently been transfered from a pot to a raised flowerbed which has partial shade. This month for the first time it has produced spathes (2)! I searched on the internet to actually see what the plant was & all about this odd pod! On some of the sites it mentioned that the Spathe opens & displays the Spadix for a day before closing & that is exactly what mine has done! Unfortunately I forgot to go outside last night to smell the lovely smell it is suppose to produce at night! Still I am hoping that when the 2nd one opens I will catch it then! The plant has taken on a whole new concept for me!! How often do they actually flower once they start? Is it every year or bi-annual or what?

2. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Mine usually flower at least once per year, but occasionally they will bloom twice per year.

3. stephenie

stephenie Member

Thanks for that, I'll look out for it again next year. It appears that I actually saw the 2nd one flower & had missed the first one which now appears to have 'threads' coming out of the spathe!?

I had spoken to my local centre on how often they flowered & they told me they don't grow outside in Spain (why ?) so it won't flower!! They were completely flumixed when I showed them the photos!!