Gardening tip for small front lawn

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rbains, May 29, 2011.

1. rbains

rbains Member

Hi,

We have a "Vancouver Special" home (33x122 lot) and our front yard is quite bare. My wife and I would like to plant shrubs/small trees in order to create a fence in the front.

We would like them to be not higher than 5-6ft and not very wide; we are planning to space them out.

What kind of plants do you recommend? Pictures?

We do not know much about plants or gardening so any type of information will be helpful.

Thanks,

Rav

2. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

Can you give some tips about the lot? What direction does it face, does it get a lot of sun or shade? Do you want evergreen or deciduous shrubs? There are 100's of choices so a bit more explanation will help.

3. rbains

rbains Member

Hi,

Our house is facing South towards Richmond and Yes it does get quite a bit of sun on a nice day.

Not sure what is the difference between evergreen or decidious but we would like something that requires low maintenance and is not really that wide. Tall (5-6ft) and slender I guess.

Something that definatly looks nice.

Our house looks something like this (as it doesn't have a fence in the front) ...

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10778980&PidKey=1062518843

4. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

For evergreen you could go with Rhododendrons, Ceanothus, Boxwoods, Privet

Deciduous shrubs, hydrangea, weigela, lilac, butterfly bush

I hope someone will come and give you other ideas!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Soil conditions will affect what can be grown there, if you have a sandy or a very heavy soil those extremes will probably rule out certain kinds. If you are saying you only want it 6' tall or less then you are looking for shrubs - and are likely to be looking at pruning each year, to restrain height growth.

Even if you plant something that will take a long time to get that tall, such as box or Japanese holly, the time will come when the limit has been reached.