USA: Gunnera. Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by genemoses, Jun 5, 2011.

1. genemoses

genemoses Member

With concern that the Moderator will wish to trasfer this question to another Forum Topic I respectfully ask the following question on fertilizing a Gunnera.

We live but a few miles south of UBC as the crane flys in Bellingham, Washington. Our Gunnera was in pots for years and wintered inside for years. She is now, for the last 2 years, outside, weathered a couple of winters and thriving. Looks good, winterizes good. About 5 feet tall today on June 5th 2011. She is in well drained soil on a drip sytem and the water they so love seems to be adequate.

My Question: She is happy. But she has had no fertilizer. The posts are all over the board as to what barand, type and strength of fertilizer to use. What say you?

Regards,

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

From what I've read, you can feed it three times a year, starting about now and ending mid summer. I imagine an organic nitrogen-rich fertiliser would be best, but to be honest, no-one I know uses fert; compost is more common.