Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Burnaby - 'Shirotae' and 'Ichiyo'

I came across a few nice 'Shirotae' yesterday.

These two trees are on Kincaid near Godwin, at the Chelsea Terrace Seniors Residence.
    20100401_KincaidGodwin_Shirotae_Cutler_8496.jpg 20100401_KincaidGodwin_Shirotae_Cutler_8497.jpg

A few blocks away, off Godwin on Sunset, at the Sunset Park Apts, was this 'Shirotae', visible from down the block.
    20100401_SunsetGodwin_Shirotae_Cutler_8500.jpg

Above Gilmore Diversion, on Norfolk at Gilmore Ave, are four 'Shirotae' along the block, two large, and two smaller and not as nice looking. They're positioned like street trees, but I imagine they might have been planted by whatever that building is.
    20100401_NorfolkGilmore_Shirotae_Cutler_8505.jpg 20100401_NorfolkGilmore_Shirotae_Cutler_8506.jpg

On Canada Way just west of Smith are three 'Ichiyo' at the small shopping centre. I don't much care for the lollipop shape.
    20100401_CanadaWaySmith_Ichiyo_Cutler_8488.jpg 20100401_CanadaWaySmith_Ichiyo_Cutler_8489.jpg 20100401_CanadaWaySmith_Ichiyo_Cutler_8491.jpg

2. lisali

lisali Member

This year is too cold and I checked cherry trees many time , still have no sign to bloom.

3. emikat

emikat Member

North Burnaby

AT the corner of Aubrey, Ayshire and Arvin Ct in North Burnaby, we found more than 17 cherry trees blossoming.

Attached Files:

4. emikat

emikat Member

North Burnaby

Two Accolade cheery trees are blossoming in 6400 block Halifax, and the flowers may stay there for another week. This cultivar is not common in North Burnaby.

Attached Files:

5. emikat

emikat Member

Saturday morning was warm and dry, a lovely day for scouting cherry trees, so we headed for 22nd Skytrain station where, according to the New Map, would have whitcomb blossoms. Yeah, near the bus loop,we saw two cherry trees in full bloom. Flowers may stay for another week. Then we drove along Bryne Road and saw five to six young whitcomb trees with purple pink flowers. Later we were in a new townhouse community at the opposite side of Edmond skytrain station. It's 16th street and Stride Avenue. Lining up at two sides of the road, cherry trees (Whitcomb, I believe)started to weave a splendid view. Lines of blossoming whitcomb can also be seen in Sussex/Imperial sidewalk; however flowers begin to fall in the breeze.

Trees are budding in Patterson Avenue, from Marine Drive to Rumble. They won't be in full bloom until two weeks if the warm weather contiues.

6. emikat

emikat Member

At block 6500 Sumas Drive, we found a pendula with white flowers; however, at block 6100 Sumas Street near Fell Ave, there is another pendula in full bloom with dark pink flowers. Are they all pendula? The trunks are different.

Attached Files:

7. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

8. wcutler

Re: Burnaby--Snofozam?

'Snofozam' was introduced around 1985. Even if this Burnaby tree had been planted right then, could it have a trunk that thick? Maybe we're to call this shidare-zakura? That just means weeping cherry. Or ito-zakura is another name for the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. emikat

emikat Member

We can find many Umineko in Sperling street between Broadway and Curtis.
    Also there stand some Somei-Yoshino with blooming flowers. Both cherry flowers are in full bloom.
    Why we thought they are not Akebono is we couldn't find any flower with an incomplete pedal. Besides, the blossoming period is different. In the same street and the whole short street of Grant Place, where many Akebono trees (Din Ren took photos in 2009) still have their pink buds; however the warm and dry weather will bring a splendid blossom from April 8.

Attached Files:

10. emikat

emikat Member

In a no-exit of Lochdale Street crossing Sperling Ave, we found 7 Spire trees. They are slim.

Attached Files:

11. emikat

emikat Member

Thanks Wendy, I went to 4690 Westlawn to see "Shosar" again. The flower is as small as Whitcomb, maybe bigger. Would you like to go there and take a look? [Edited by wcutler 2011apr14: I suggested the 'Shosar' ID to Emily and Kathy, but I changed my mind on this, see later posting. Now I think it's what we're calling 'Afterglow'.]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  12. emikat

emikat Member

2 big Yae-Beni-shidare and 2 small ones are found in Philips(South of Broadway). The young ones look so different from the old ones.

Attached Files:

13. emikat

emikat Member

When I drove on Sperling this morning, I saw 2 tall trees stand there. Yah, they are Ranchos!

Attached Files:

14. emikat

emikat Member

It's Akebono season.
    Since April 8, Akebono in its full bloom has dominated at least 50% of Burnaby landscape. From south to north, we see rows of baby pink canopies in Nelson (from Imperial to Watling), Royal Oak (from Imperial to Oakland St.), Henning Drive (from Boundary to Willingdon, especially 3800 block ICBC driving test office), Wayburne at Canada Way, Westlawn, Southoaks Cres at Sperling, Grant Place, Charles (from Holdom to Stratford), Georgia(Between Gilmore and Willingdon).......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  15. wcutler

D'you know what? I forgot about 'Afterglow'. I didn't like how not upright this tree is compared with the 'Shosar' in Richmond. Have a look at 'Afterglow' in the Sunset thread #29. I'm sorry I mislead you (in a private email), and I might be doing it again if the flowers really are as small as 'Whitcomb'. I thought 'Afterglow' flowers were around 'Somei-yoshino' size.

16. emikat

emikat Member

I found the last Whitcomb flower. Whitcomb is 2.0cm, smaller than Afterglow. Afterglow is about 3.0cm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  17. wcutler

I'm staying with 'Afterglow' on these. Pistil is same length as the stamens, but the pistil on the 'Whitcomb', which I don't think was really in the running, is quite a bit longer than the stamens.

18. lisali

lisali Member

Cherry just blooming in Edmond Station

I shot these pictures using my iphone

Attached Files:

• c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      File size:
      171.8 KB
      Views:
    • c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      File size:
      231.1 KB
      Views:
  19. emikat

emikat Member

More than 10 Afterglow trees on Cliff Ave Between Kitchener and Curtis, are in full bloom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  20. emikat

emikat Member

There are five Tai Haku trees in BCIT. The four youngs near SE14 parking lot and one on GoArd Way are all in full bloom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  21. emikat

emikat Member

Shirotae in North Burnaby is only 50% in bloom.

Attached Files:

22. emikat

emikat Member

Thanks to Wendy's reminder, I drove up to SFU campus, and found these Shirofugen Grove, totally 17 Shirofugen and 3 Pink Perfection. Unluckily, they have past their best and in Shirofugen, flowers began to change to pure white. Here are pictures taken on June 4 morning. Anyway, it's a blessing to see cherry trees in their full bloom in early June. Compared to photos taken on May 15, 2009 ( #23 and #24), their timing delays almost half month this year.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

Actually, they start pure white and go pink. But they sometimes get a second blooming, not a lot of blossoms, but some new blossoms in late May or June. So you see some white, some pink, some pink with white centres, some white with pink centres, some with leaf-looking things growing from the centres - so much variation from one blossom to another. I can look at them for hours, and take way too many photos.

24. lisali

lisali Member

Hi, everyone, did you find the cherry in Burnaby get bloom?

I found there are some cherry almost get bloom close the Royal Oak skytrain station, I will take some photos when I be there next time.

25. lisali

lisali Member

I took a picture near Royal oak Station

Just two cherries blooming, but it's a good sign, cheers.

Attached Files: