Re. Deer: Wasting my time with veg garden in Victoria?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by akimbo, May 15, 2011.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Have read the many comments about deer getting into gardens. I just moved to Victoria near Oak Bay border, and I have indeed seen deer on our street and they ate some of our tulips. In my landscape plan I designed a 12 x 17' vegetable garden with a 7 to 8 foot high fence using farm-style wire fencing. Is it really true that deer can hop a fence that high? Will my fence keep cats out? What about blueberries? Will I have to place them inside my fenced area? Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, 10' would be better.

The main threat to getting your own blueberries is birds. If you don't enclose the shrubs in bird netting robins etc. may strip them at ripening time.

3. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Hmmm, It may be tricky to find fence poles that high. Yes, I might just put some netting over the blueberries. thank you.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Deer can jump that high (7' or 8'), but it is very doubtful that will actually do that. You should have your blueberries inside the fence.

5. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

If you love to garden, of course it is worth it. Think of it as less fortress and more deterrent. Deer can graze Oak Bay and pick off most of their needs with next to no effort, so why would they jump a 6' fence and risk a dramatic entanglement for something they can easily nab a few lots over on their route. As Ron said, netting over Blueberries is advised to keep the birds off.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You get the height by using peeler poles. I've seen an adult doe jump over barbed wire that was well above my head, although this was with a running start.

7. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks for getting me on track. There wouldn't be much of a run up to this fence, but I'll get the tallest peeled poles I can find. I imagine they would need to be placed closer together than the usual 8 feet for fence panels.

I hope the birds don't get stuck in the bird netting.

8. joe wadge

joe wadge Member

Try spreading blood meal around the area of the garden, they don't like this stuff.
    joe

9. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

Before you start planting poles, check the bylaws first! You'll have a bylaw officer tapping at your door way before any deer discover your garden. Starlings will clear out your blueberries, not deer. Deer like to graze which is why I leave some fireweed around for them to nibble on..

10. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Yes I'm aware of the fence height limits, thanks. I figure, since it is the interior of my yard, and would have just wire fence around it that it shouldn't raise the ire of the City officials. Their investigations are complaint driven, i.e. they don't go looking for trouble.