Dancing Peacock or Full moon?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LiamNoel, May 11, 2011.

1. LiamNoel

LiamNoel Member

Hello everyone!
    My name is Nina, I live in New york, I'm new to the forum and to maple trees in particular.I have a question for you all because frankly I'm so confused I'm about to cry... I hope you'll forgive all the details , I want to make sure you have all the information before deciding the level of stupidity my question should be categorized in. ANYWAY..

I fell in love with a variety of a bi-colored Japanese Maple (Acer japonicum) called "Aconitifolium". Initially I thought the name was "Dancing Peacock" or "Maiku Jaku" , which was great until I went to the nursery not far from my house and they informed me that the picture I have is in fact "Full Moon". Needless to say, I ran home, scoured the internet which naturally resulted in massive confusion.
    I called the local extension offices where we live and a snooty little old lady who kept calling me dear in a very condescending tone ( i swear she said "dear" and it sounded more like "you stupid idiot") suggested I get a less confusing tree. Since I was too busy having a minor nervous breakdown, I decided not to be mean to her and signed on here to ask your professional opinions.
    here are the pictures I have. I keep thinking number 1 is Dancing Peacock and number 2 is Full Moon, but I could be wrong and they are one and the same. Can you guys tell me which one is the Dancing Peacock? I tried to keep the images as small as I possibly could without resizing them too small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help :(
    Thanks in advance,
    Nina

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, you have it right, #1 looks like 'Aconitifolium' and #2 could be a generic Acer japonicum, AKA Full Moon maple.

I am a little confused by your description of it as bi-colored though. Normally it would be a deep green through most of the season with the intense crimson etc colours only seen in the fall.

3. LiamNoel

LiamNoel Member

Hi Maf, thanks for the prompt reply! The Maple tree I saw was two toned, bright burgandy and yellow-ish (in every leaf). I'm not sure if that was the result of being in fall transition or the actual fall foliage color of the tree. what do you think?

4. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Your photos are fall colors. Is that what you are describing? Given the time of year, we are thinking spring colors which can be quite varied on Japanese maples, but not so much in the trees you are asking about. Just clarify that and it will help responding to your question. You would not see those colors this time of year, and if I did, I would not buy the tree. The first is definitely Aconitifolium -- Dancing Peacock. All the Japonica are lovely trees. Are you in the City or outside? I'm in Larchmont, and it is a great climate for Japanese maples. I have Aconitifolium and Meigetsu--which is somewhat like the second photo--and they are very green and lovely now and look spectacular in the fall.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ok, I see what you mean now - the fall colours can be quite variable and transitional, always very good, but don't expect to always see the clearly delineated burgundy and yellow as in the picture you linked to. Pretty much anything in the orange/scarlet/red/carmine/purple range can be expected to be shaded in.

There are some good pictures of the foliage colour at all times of year in the photo gallery thread for Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'.

6. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Aconitifolium is the same thing as Maiku jaku and Dancing Peacock. It is a variety of Acer japonicum. Full Moon Maple is more commonly referred to as Acer japonicum 'Palmatifolium'. Acer japonicum "Aureum' is also called Golden Full Moon Maple.

I wasn't sure if you understood that or not.

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I thought Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' was the 'Full Moon' maple?
    Am I just confusing the issue even more?
    Actually apparently they are both the same. Originally thought to be a japonicum, and reclassified in 1984 as a shirasawanum. Either way it is most definitely one of the most beautiful of Japanese maples, and a strong favourite of mine. I have three :) Highly recommended.
    The autumn colours of Aconitifolium (The Dancing Peacock) have to be seen to be believed. Hard to beat.
    I am not sure that I agree with Sasquatch about his description of Palmatifolium. My understanding was that this was accepted as a shirasawanum, and it certainly appears in Vertrees as such and as a different plant altogether (see page 167 of the 2nd edition)
    Incidentally, your second photograph looks to me to be very like Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' although it could be 'Aureum' in its autumn splendour

8. LiamNoel

LiamNoel Member

First, thank you so much for your replies guys, you are awesome. I've been reading a lot on here before I decided to register and you always have good information.

If I understand correctly, the two pictures I posted are of two different trees. jacquot is correct about the fall colors, that's exactly what I was looking at/for.
    I'm starting to think both trees are equally beautiful and I should just get whatever I can but my OCD nature is insisting on the dancing peacock. Can anyone recommend a good trusted website where I can purchase one?

9. whis4ey

My own opinion is that Dancing Peacock would be the better of the two for autumn colour. Aureum would be the best for spring beauty
    You can visit both on my own website:
    http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/page17.html

10. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Topiary Gardens is in your neck of the woods in Marcellus, New York, and has both 'Aconitifolium' and 'Maiku jaku' (here). A very nice woman named Diana runs the nursery, and will sell you a quality tree - with the added bonus of the "grafted on" date.

She gives a comparison of the two forms on her website:

11. LiamNoel

LiamNoel Member

You are officially my favorite new person I've never met , in the world!!!
    Thank you so very much!

12. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Whiskey, you are correct. I meant to type shirasawanum, not japonicum for Aureum and Palmatifolium. My mind was still thinking about the Aconitifolium.

Sorry to confuse things further....

13. whis4ey

awwwwwwwwwww ..... I think Liamnoel and Prairiestyle have just fallen in love :)

14. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I do not have Aureum, I do have the similar Autumn Moon. They have very different growth habit than Aconitifolium which in my yard is larger and more openly branched. Aureum is reported to be difficult to grow. If you are just starting out with maples, you might not want to choose that tree to start. Palmatifolium always was attractive to me, but I do not have one. I have an A.j. Otaki that is stunning and has a blush over a light yellow green in spring. The leaves are in between the two photographs you showed in form. The Japonica are known for fall colors, and the variations on each leaf can be dramatic.

15. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A maple fan and an Oasis fan... I'm happy to help.

16. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

To confuss it more Acer shirasawanum was called acer japonicium 'Kinkakure' i found some very old aureum at a nursery and they were still labeled such. in my region, As Aureum has trouble with fall color. It starts out great but then goes to a brown dried leaf. Most of the people around here think they kill their tree the first fall they own it.

I would say year for year Aj Otaki gets the most amount of fall photos in my garden. This spring the Otaki has had a peach color. Aconitifolulium is still a tree I would always own, its color is great, spring summer and fall and it has an interesting leaf. Its only weak spot is it can have a little funky growing habit.

Oh, just get one of each

17. whis4ey

Aureum has always had trouble with fall colour here in Northern Ireland, invariably simply going to a brown dried leaf as described. However, its spring leaf is the most striking of all my collection and that pale lemony green colouration is quite amazing
    According to Book for Maples, shirasawanum 'Kin kakure' is a different plant, having been introduced in 1968. Vertrees, however, refers to it as japonicum 'Kinkakure' and cross references it to shirasawanum aureum.
    It seems as though the 'experts' aren't even in agreement
    Maybe it is just the nurseries trying to find another sale for the avid collector?
    Amazingmaples is right ... just buy one of each :)

18. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

In the case of the a japonicum .Kinkakure' the trees I bought where there old scion wood trees. They were 20 or so years old and trees in their fields.

I would always have an As Aureum in my garden. Its spring and summer color is one of the best. Who knows, you might get some great fall color out of it (before the brown)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  19. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nina,

Diana at Topiary is a gem and you will love her! If you can, make a trip up there and see her place. She also has larger plants to offer if you can pick them up in person. Very reasonable prices. Be forewarned - Diana has over 500 different types of maples, and it can be addicting. ;-)

20. whis4ey

CORRECTION:
    It IS addictive :)

21. nelran

nelran Active Member

That's right, Whis4ey. I got my "aconitifolium" from Diana a few years ago, and it is one of my best performers, and is easy to grow and care. Very sturdy in hot sun, no pests so far. It's a winner.
    Also I love the Shirasawanum Aureum, but it is well know to be very (and I mean VERY) hard to grow. Believe me, I lost three of them, and I just have only one in "surviving mode".... A.S. 'Autumn Moon' is a little bit easier to keep alive (I have 3 of them), but here isn't a good performer. My advice: Go for the "Aconitifolium". It is a wonderful specimen.

Attached Files: