Identity of Wild flowering tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by HughWirch, May 16, 2011.

1. HughWirch

HughWirch Member

The specimen in the photos is about 20 feet tall, and blends in with the alders except when it blooms this time of year. Flowers are white with 5 petals in clusters.

thanks,
    Hugh.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wild Cherry Prunus avium or close relative.

3. HughWirch

HughWirch Member

Thanks, the flower does look pretty much like the wild cherry. Don't recall any cherries, but we've only been at this location a couple of years, will look for them this year.

regards,
    Hugh.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In the habit photo it looks like Prunus emarginata. Characters of that species can also be seen in the close-up shot. However, it may also have some traits of P. avium apparent in that view - if so, making it the regionally common spontaneous hybrid between the two, P. x pugetensis. In person I can tell bitter and Puget cherries apart from some distance by the larger and more conspicuously tinted flowers of the latter; if we had only the habit photo to go by here I would say yours was a bitter cherry.

Puget cherry is shown and described on the web, you can learn how to tell if your tree fits the bill by looking at what you find there.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Habit is typical of young P. avium, too.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That one is more coarse, with larger parts. Tree shown is too fine and dense for sweet cherry, with bitter cherry leaf veining etc.

7. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Definitely Prunus emarginata.

8. HughWirch

HughWirch Member

Thank you all for your responses, and it does fit the descriptions I've now reviewed for Prunus Emarginata, including the details of the trunk, which I didn't have in my photos.

regards,
    Hugh.