Comfrey?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ghp, May 16, 2011.

1. ghp

ghp Active Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone uses comfrey as a fertilizer for vegetable plants? One of my gardening books suggests this flowering plant and I was wondering if others thought it is a good solution.

Thanks for any input!

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Be very careful! It can be an agressive weed.

3. ghp

ghp Active Member

Oh, that's not good. Did you ever use it as a fertilizer and if so, were you happy with the results? Thanks for your help.

4. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

I never have, due to the agressive nature of the plant, but if you can keep it under control, I guess it makes very good compost tea. Jekka McVicar, the herb guru, uses it on her farm. But I think that regular kitchen waste compost will work almost as well. Is Santa Clara close to the sea? I used to make my own seaweed compost which was amazingly rich. The only proviso is that you must ensure there is no more salt left in the seaweed at all. I would rinse it for a few hours until I was reasonably sure it was salt-free, and then I would put it in a barrel composter with grass clippings. It made excellent compost tea.

5. ghp

ghp Active Member

Hmmm, you've given me something to think about because I'm currently in the process of getting rid of invasive weeds and I don't want a new problem. Thanks for tips about the regular waste compost. I'm about 45 mins. away from the ocean so I don't have good access to seaweed, but I bet it's full of nutrients! Thanks again.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If you can get hold of the Bocking 14 clone over there, it is sterile and thus relatively easily controlled. Or at least more easily controlled than types that will set viable seed, it will still regrow from small root cuttings.

Growing & Using Comfrey for Gardeners webpage from a UK allotment site: Comfrey The Wonder Plant - Your Own Compost Mine

7. ghp

ghp Active Member

Thanks, maf. Is the bocking 14 what they refer to as Russian Comfrey?

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Bocking 14 is a selected clone of Russian comfrey, Symphytum x uplandicum, but "regular" Russian Comfrey is not sterile, so be careful. I would not introduce it unless I was sure I had a sterile clone.

9. ghp

ghp Active Member

Thanks for the clarification.