Fiddleleaf Ficus Tree pruning

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by missminni, May 4, 2011.

1. missminni

missminni Member

I have a Fiddleleaf Ficus (I rescued it) growing under a skylight for about 20 years now.
    I've trimmed it many times trying to create a fuller tree shape, but it always continues to grow straight up towards the skylight and not fill out on the lower portion of the tree.
    I just trimmed it back to about 12 feet and five main branches and it has a nice rounded shape to it at this point but all the branches grow from the top and I'd like new ones to start lower down on the old wood.
    I took most of the branches off the top to allow light to reach the lower part and pinched the new growth from the remaining branches. I've done this before without much luck.
    Is there anything I can do besides removing the upper branches and pinching back new growth to encourage branching lower down on the tree?
    picture at
    http://www.mihaus.com/images/Ficus.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

That's a beautiful fig! I think this one wants to be a much bigger tree than your plans for it, and it is unlikely to cooperate much on growing out down lower. It sounds like you are already doing everything you can for it.

3. missminni

missminni Member

thanks
    I guess you're right.