broken limbs from dwarf pea tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by cleo, Mar 18, 2007.

1. cleo

cleo Member

Hi:

I live in Newfoundland and recently we had a hugh rain storm. We have alot of snow and the combination wasn't good. I have a dwarf weeping pea tree and the weight of the snow pulled the branches down and split them from the main stem. I have had this tree for 3 winters now and have never covered it. Big mistake I guess. My question is, is there anything I can do to save this tree? There are 2 main stems with branches shooting from them. Well these 2 branches are torn from the stem. I sure hope someone has a suggestion for me.

thanks

2. wayneswhirld

wayneswhirld Member

I have the exact same problem with what my wife calls a weeping pea tree. Heavy snow this winter in Vermont caused it. And it is "weeping" (from sadness) since it's main branch is split at the top as it begins to curl downward.

It doesn't bode well that there has not been an answer or solution to cleo's query from four years ago.

I'm wondering if 1) the branch can be taped in some manner as it is a clean split. If so, what type of tape? And 2) the best way to prevent this from reoccurring as my wife just bought another weeping pea.

Thank you,
    Wayne

3. wayneswhirld

wayneswhirld Member

Just in case there's any interest, here's how the damaged weeping pea tree looks, taped with duct tape and in bloom.

Attached Files: