name this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by red wriggler, Oct 11, 2003.

1. red wriggler

red wriggler Member

We (the Garden Committee) have an interesting shrub growing in our community garden but don't know exactly what it is named. Its very interesting features are: small white flowers in the spring, followed by dark red berries; the foliage turns red in the fall. It is currently growing in a 24" dia. plastic pot and is about 1 m high with a 1.5 m spread and is about 5 yrs. old. A few years ago someone told me it was named "Autumn Delight". If someone has any ideas on what it is and what its needs are, I'd love to hear.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Picture? pretty please?
    or... more detailed description. Are the leaves opposite, alternate, serrated, texture of the leaf, size of fruit, seeds? etc.

Or, bring some leaves and fruit to your nearest garden center or nursery and let them have a look.

I searched the name Autumn delight a bit and the only thing I could come up with was a variety of rose.

3. Joan

Joan Active Member

This sounds like Aronia melanocarpa 'Autumn Magic' which was intoduced to the nursery trade through the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden Plant Intoduction Scheme about 12 years ago.
    I have a couple of these charming small shrubs in my garden. At this time of year, the small leaves turn a brilliant red and the dark red almost black berries are very decorative. The berries are great food for the birds as winter comes.
    I cannot seem to find a good link to a picture, but you may have better luck than me on Google!

4. Joan

Joan Active Member

'Autumn Magic" , by the way is pretty easy for us in Vancouver!
    Mine grow in partial shade and have reasonable drainage!
    You can get a leaflet about this plant if you contact the Hortline at 604 822 5858 or go by the Shop in the Garden.
    You might like to come to Apple Fest at UBC October 18th and 19th!