Acer palmatum 'Ariadne'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by industrial, May 5, 2004.

1. industrial

industrial Active Member

Here is my Ariadne just leafing out.Another favourite of mine.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A 'Shigitasu sawa' related cultivar growing to 3m at maturity. Yellow green veining on pastel shades of light orange-pink-red marbled background in the spring, changing to red veins on a purplish red background in the summer. Also notible are its red fruits and very deeply cut leaves with tail-like tips and double-toothed leaf margins with pointed tips. (adapted from Vertrees, 3rd ed.)

This tree is a frist year graft from obtained from Arbutus Gardens near Yamhill, Oregon. Its current growth seems to differ from the described characteristics to some degree, but it is believed to be true to name. A difficult cultivar to find. Time will tell how it measures up.

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

Re: Acer Palmatum Ariadne

This is a plant I got last fall that is distinctly different from the first plant I posted, also labled Ariadne. This plant most closely resembles the original plant in the thread posted by industrial.

I am looking for some help with the above tree and what tree it might be, as it certainly does not seem to be the common variety offered as Ariadne.

Anyone have more photos or thoughts??

The photo dates are: 04/05/2005, 04/25/2005, 5/13/2005, 06/05/2005, 10/18/2004

Attached Files:

4. mjh1676

This is the fist plant I posted August 8th 2004 now in its 3rd year. Sister seedling? Anyone?

Photo dates: 04/14/2005, 05/01/2005, 05/01/2005, 06/05/2005

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Michael,
    This is my contribution to this thread.
    I have one small plant, about 3 years old graft. Bought from Esveld (who introduced this cultivar). While the spring colors (first pic, taken in April) are close enough to the picture in their book (page 102), the summer colors (second and thihrd pics, taken today) do not fit the description in the book. Van Gelderen says reddish purple with pink variegation while mine, and all others I've seen here in Europe are pink with green veins. In fact the pic shown at their site Ariadne-Esveld
    is close enough to mines.
    Hope it helps

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. mjh1676

Thanks Gomero,

You have provided what I was looking for! I like the last photo with the deeply divided leaf and the very pointed sharply toothed lobes. That is the leaf shape that I have been expecting but I am not seeing it.

The tree I have that has the photo of the red samara is the one I think is closest, but the lobes keep turning out truncated or rounded at the lobe tips. I hope this resloves with age. I am also losing the reticulation on a number of my trees as summer moves in. I suspect it is nutrient related or related to the timing of nutrient delivery, but I am not sure.

I almost think the other tree I posted is a Peaches and Cream, the one from August 2004, but I have never seen Peaches throw new red foliage that looks like that. So we wait!

Thanks again.
    Michael

7. mjh1676

Here is an updated summer photo of some recent new growth and in the left of the photo the mature summer leaves. Plant grown in medium shade. This is the second tree I posted above.

Attached Files:

8. carbluesnake

carbluesnake Active Member

I will be getting a #3 ariadne this fall. I should get a good idea how it will take the hot Texas summers. It will be planted in a tall overstory of post oaks that will give it a good medium shade. I have an aka shigitatsa sawa that seems to do fine until we get those 98-100 degree highs with lows in the mid 70's. I get the maple leaf burn then. My peaches and cream seems a little more tolerant, as I get very little burn on them. They are all in medium shade.

9. mjh1676

Good luck with your tree. When you get it, could you post a photo and either in private or in the gallery let me know where it has come from. This plant is gaining some momentum in distribution the last year or two, likely from a large influx of wood from Austrailia. From the people I have talked to, the variability in this plants is far greater then what we see with a shigitatsu and even with, what I feel, is the unstable Peaches and Cream. We see very few leaves develop as shown in the book photos and the seedling variance often shows through dulling the selected characteristics. The trees I have are pretty tolerant in partial shade and the leaves will hold up pretty well--better then Aka shigitatsu sawa and as good as Peaches which burns a little more.

MJH

10. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Here is my Ariadne on May 4, 2007. Throughout the growing season it's color remains interesting and different from all others, and it actually seems to get better each year. This tree resides in rather low filtered light, and it's colors are vivid.

Attached Files:

11. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are some new pics of my own 'Ariadne'
    Ariadne

12. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Picture of 'Ariadne' taken July 17. Totally different than any others posted. I have it
    in partial sun. It has looked this way for about 2 months now. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Cirque

Attached Files:

13. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

The leaves of my tree (at least a portion of the growth) do match Gomero's third picture, and definitely don't look like the leaves shown above. However, one distinguishing trait of my tree is the white glaucous striations on the stems (which are so strong it looks solid white in some parts). I can't help but notice that the above does show this trait to some degree. Perhaps it hasn't shown its true colors yet.

14. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

WOW...what a difference a year makes...well almost a year. Take a look at the change from my 'Ariadne' from 7/18/08 (see above) to what I took yesterday. It's finally showing its true colors.

Cirque

Attached Files:

15. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

My Ariadne in spring. It opens a creamy color with green veins, but soon develops a rose-peach overlay color in ample sunlight. The leaves don't show the strong wavy or cupped leaves that are characteristic of most other reticulates.

Attached Files:

16. vinc la pergola

vinc la pergola Member

in my garden

Attached Files:

17. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Some pictures Ariadne in the UK.

Attached Files:

18. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

nice pics D97x7! i have one have a good resistance in usda 9b

19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here are some photos of two of my Ariadne

Attached Files:

20. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo was taken May 9 of my Ariadne. It always seems to leaf out with a pink blush and then turn more orange as May progresses. It always seem to perform predictably from year to year, but I must admit it's not exactly in my top 20.

Attached Files:

21. amazingmaples

I have a few Ariadne, they all seem to have a little different color based on their location and how long I have owned them. The new ones have a bit more green which I figure comes from the fertalizers used at the nurseries.

Attached Files:

22. amazingmaples

here is a photo of the early fall color

Attached Files:

23. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

I'd love to post some more pictures of my Ariadne from six posts up but unfortunately it didn't make it through the winter which is a shame as this time last year it was looking great. Oh well, part of the trials of gardening i suppose.

24. amazingmaples

I like the scarlet color of fall of Ariadne

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      247 KB
      Views:
  25. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Juuuust leafing out here in 5b. I'm on the fence about Ariadne. I got it free from Conifer Kingdom, but it looked pretty dull and ratty through most of the summer. Fall color was great. I'll give it another couple of years to see if it's worth the space.

Attached Files: