The Pleasure of Spring

Discussion in 'Maples' started by CSL, May 1, 2011.

1. CSL

CSL Active Member

Did a walk through my yard this morning when the sun was just right - I was able to take a few photos I thought some of you might enjoy...

1) Amber Ghost - Showing the full spectrum of colors that you can get with this versatile plant - the green leaf was shaded until I exposed it today, the red comes out from about three hours of afternoon sun, 10:30am to about 1:00pm

2) Ao Shime No Uchi - absolutely loaded with flowers for the first time ever

3) Orange Dream

4) Shindeshojo

My favorite time of the year!

CSL

Attached Files:

2. FreeFlight

FreeFlight Member

Excellent pictures and trees! Do you think the flowers of Ao Shime No Uchi will turn into viable seeds? Also with your Amber Ghost when you said "the red comes out from about three hours of afternoon sun, 10:30am to about 1:00pm" do you mean the leaves become progressively more red during those hours then return to a lesser red for the rest of the day?

3. CSL

CSL Active Member

FreeFlight -

Yes, I believe that many of the flowers on the Ao Shime No Uchi will produce samaras - and it should be interesting because I have a A.P. Tamukeyama and a A.P. Bloodgood that are also heavy flowering and in the area.

With respect to the Amber Ghost - no, I do not mean it that way. Across time (days) they redden - for example, the white / green leaf in that photo is now pink tinted like the others. If I were to pick up the pot and put it in the shade (filtered light), the red tint would fade and the colors would head back to pale cream / green in 7-10 days. I did this several times last summer so see no reason why it would not repeat this year as well.

Cheers,
    CSL

4. FreeFlight

FreeFlight Member

Excellent! Thanks for helping me understand.