British Columbia: the best type of grape vine to plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Irene, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Irene

Irene Member

I would like to plant some grape vines in my backyard, however, I am not experienced in growing grapes. I live in Richmond, B.C. My backyard with 40 cm of top clay soil with poor drainage and sand under this top layer faces north-west with the north side getting sun from 11:00 am until dusk. I have improved the soil by adding 50 cm of good new garden soil, but I have no idea what types of grape vines would fit in such a place. I would appreciate someone's advise.

Irene

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

There are many varieties to choose from and will depend on intended use (wine or table grapes) and on personal taste (Concord or hybrid types). If you have the space, try several varieties; but keep in mind that only early varieties work well in our cool summers. Richmond is generally cooler than some of the areas farther from the sea; so the earliest varieties will work best.

3. KrisB

KrisB Member

I am interested in this thread, too! I'm not ready to plant grapes yet, but I'm thinking of it for the future. My in-laws have grapes that are soft and sour, so I'm afraid of planting ones like that. I prefer the crispy, sweet kind that you can typically buy at the grocery store. They would be just for fresh eating, in my case.

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

'Himrod' is a good variety, if you're only going to grow one and you want a table grape. Productive, seedless, and does well on the coast.