Low hedge in narrow plot with maple

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Pd245, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Pd245

Pd245 Member

I want to plant an informal, interesting low hedge - max. 4' tall - as a privacy screen in a raised bed next to a walkway. The bed is 6'x15'. I'm in zone 7b. Right smack in the middle of the bed is a 12' fernleaf "full moon" maple. I want to put the narrow hedge along the 15' length of the plot, but only between the maple and the walkway, and plant lower growing plants on the other half of the plot - I don't want to obstruct the beautiful trunk structure of the maple on the non-walkway side. The plot is in part shade, but about 1/8 of it gets almost full sun.

I'm having trouble finding a medium-height evergreen shrub that's not only informal but will also complement the maple. I thought of nandina but the leaf structure and color is too similar to the maple.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I can't do grass and won't do laurel (it's surrounds my house) or privet.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seattle is USDA 8. You might like Japanese holly or evergreen azaleas with the maple.

3. Pd245

Pd245 Member

I like the idea of azaleas. I think that could look very nice.

I typed my zip in the following link and my hardiness zone came back 7b: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

Maybe it's not accurate.

Thank you!

4. Ron B

I've never gotten zip code zone finders to put me in the right zone.

5. Pd245

Pd245 Member

Well I'm glad I know my zone now. I'm putting in a lot of plants so need to know this info. So thanks. Will put it in my little gardening book :)

6. Ron B