Questions about Davidia tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by polepruner, Nov 16, 2007.

1. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wondering where the week went. Had a look at the tree today and did a rough measurement. Not really sure of the standard criteria for measurements and not exact here. The trunk , below the branching structure at about 1m. {3'} from ground level, measured 4m. {12' 8"} around. Width is about 24-25m. {75'} and height estimated at 25-27m. {80'-85'}, appears taller than wide. The bracts and leaves seem smaller than a 20 year old tree here, but guess that's to be expected with an aged tree. The property owner figures it's about topped out and lower branches are now sweeping upwards, bloom seems to be peaking now. Likely planted by his grandfather, maybe over 80 years ago, forgot to ask. Sorry about the poor photos, sunny day and lack photography skills. Additional photos of the tree have been taken and may be on their website, www.ferncliffgardens.com . An interesting magnificent tree, seems it may be worthy of more attention.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If your figures are correct it is of noteworthy size.

"Records: to 98 1/2' x 15'5" in the wild; 79' x 6'6" Westonbirt, Gloucestershire, England (1988); 72' x 8'1" Villa Taranto, Pallanza, Lake Maggiore, Italy (1994); 62' x 7'6" Tregrehan, Cornwall, England (1979)"

--A.L. Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley)

Wonderful floral display on it this year.

3. chimera

Yes, very beautiful, awesome. It has an open northerly exposure. It may not appear higher than wide in the photos, but seems more apparent from a distance. It is sending up new growth from the base. Was well worth the drive to see it today. Checked on four approximately 20 year old seedlings from this tree at a monastery, but they do not bloom yet. May get a proper age on the tree later, if possible, when things are less busy. Thanks for the information concerning tree sizes Ron and Michael, all interesting.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

amazing pics !

5. chimera

We better allow more space for our trees Alex.

6. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Susan Murray's Our Sylvan Heritage: Magnificent Trees of the South Fraser lists 6 locations in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Langley and Surrey....

7. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Today I noticed a few flowers on a Davidia that I've had in a container for about 10- 12 years. I had been waiting.

I think this is a seed grown plant.

Attached Files:

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my two davidia involucrata are death:(one fungus attack the bark i presume for over watering ..i remove one and cut another ground 0 ,this spring is re-sprout:) and one seed is germinate!!maybe the usda zone 9 is not good for this amazing tree..have you some advice for cultivation in my zone?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011