Help with putting a name with a maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tifferstreasure, Apr 19, 2011.

1. tifferstreasure

tifferstreasure Member

I am posting some pictures of a maple I obtained last year. It was very late in the season, and unfortunately it did not get a label. I had wondered if anyone could give me a bit of help in putting a name to this "pretty face." Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Based on the leaf shape/color/margin, it looks quite a bit like my Acer palmatum 'Shigarami' (one of my favorites!)

3. tifferstreasure

tifferstreasure Member

I had two very strong suspicions, and Shigarami was one of them. I'll continue to see what others think, but I so appreciate the opinion. It was sent to me as a second year plant last fall, and it has pushed out a TON of new growth this Spring. The leaves are a little on the larger side, not smallish. How large is yours? How could you possibly pick a favorite? Every new one I receive steals my heart. Again, thanks for your time and help! John

4. paxi

paxi Active Member

5. tifferstreasure

tifferstreasure Member

I have that one to compare.....the leaves are much bigger, and not a dwarf habit.

6. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I've had my 'Shigarami' for 4-5 years, and it's about four feet tall and about 3 feet wide. I received it as a 1-2 year plant from Mendocino Maples. What I most love about this cultivar is the leaf shape: the overall star-like appearance, the uniformity of the leaves/lobes, the smooth margins. It hasn't leafed out for me yet this year (and good thing too, we've had three nights at/slightly below freezing in the past week and a half), but either last year or the year prior it was simply beautiful in the spring, the margins being as bright or brighter of a red color than any 'Tsuma ...' cultivar I've seen.

Here it takes full sun easily, no leaf scorching/burning at all with all day direct sun. I actually think that the more sun it gets, the brighter red the spring margins, but that's just a hunch.

7. tifferstreasure

tifferstreasure Member

So good to know on the full sun! This beauty will definitely get all day sun. I also "surrounded" it with different reds such as Skeeter's Broom, Beni Maiko, Chitoseyama, and Nuresagi to enhance the eye appeal of the red. In fact, in this particular bed, it is the only maple with any green at all! Thanks again for your reply and help my new maple friend. John