Ubc

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Chorok Kim

Chorok Kim Member

Here is at Chan Centre in UBC. Cultivar is 'Somei-yoshino'.

20110417_UBC_Somei-yoshino_Kim_4649.jpg 20110417_UBC_Somei-yoshino_Kim_4646.jpg

20110417_UBC_Somei-yoshino_Kim_4645.jpg 20110417_UBC_Somei-yoshino_Kim_4647.jpg 20110417_UBC_Somei-yoshino_Kim_4644.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Chorok, I think your last two photos at Lower Mall are from the younger 'Akebono' trees that were planted there (by mistake) as replacements for 'Somei-yoshino' that were removed. The old trees are 'Somei-yoshino', and your first photo looks like it's from those. Thanks for posting such nice clear photos.

3. wcutler

The 'Taki-nioi' is in bloom now at Nitobe Memorial Garden - a bit past peak bloom, but still very fragrant.
    20110513_Nitobe_Taki-nioi_Cutler_P1110729.jpg 20110513_Nitobe_Taki-nioi_Cutler_P1110734.jpg

Looking toward the 'Taki-nioi' from the entrance, you first see two 'Shotgetsu', looking a lot more white than the 'Taki-nioi' behind them, but that's probably because of the 'Taki-nioi's bronze leaves that give the whole tree a more pink appearance from a distance. The 'Shogetsu' are even more past their peak, so I decided to do the leaves this time.
    20110513_Nitobe_Shogetsu_Cutler_P1110711.jpg 20110513_Nitobe_Shogetsu_Cutler_P1110712.jpg

Several wide-spreading 'Shirofugen are in bloom as well.
    20110513_Nitobe_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1110766.jpg

4. wcutler

O-yama-zakura, Prunus sargentii at UBCBG

This is certainly not in bloom now, but it's the only tree that I know is O-yama-zakura, Prunus sargentii and I don't see it posted anywhere. [Edited - I forgot about one in Riley Park (re-edited - QE Park), so we know two] This is on the main path into the UBC Botanical Garden, on the right at a main intersection.

Part of the tree has pink flowers and part white flowers. I think it might be a few trees, but the seeds were all collected from the same tree (that's what I think I remember being told).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: O-yama-zakura, Prunus sargentii at UBCBG

There are six individuals of Prunus sargentii in the David C. Lam Asian Garden (all planted in 1983 from wild seed collected—probably from more than one tree—in northern Japan). Two of them are along the path you mention inside the garden, one is near the back of the Campbell (administration) Building close to the Old Marine Drive fence line, and the others are planted near the top of the slope along SW Marine Drive (outside the fence), near the cell phone tower.

The largest specimen of O-yama-zakura in Vancouver (as far as I know) is in Queen Elizabeth Park, west and down the hill from the Bloedel Conservatory. It has probably been there since the 1960s.

6. meb

meb Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Somei-Yoshino in full bloom all over UBC campus

Lower Mall in Easter weekend glory.

Attached Files:

7. meb

Re: Somei-Yoshino in full bloom all over UBC campus

Somei-Yoshino at Nitobe Garden and the Chan Centre

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. wcutler

Nadia and I found a Paper Bark Cherry way at the end of the North Garden at UBCBG. It has a lot of fruits.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

The story as I heard it was that UBC Plant Ops (Plant in this case being buildings/facilities) thought the trees on Lower Mall were 'Akebono', so when they had to replace some, they planted 'Akebono'. I think they were made aware of the fact that the trees were actually 'Somei-yoshino'. So they've made tags for all the trees saying Yoshino, even though they know the replacements they planted are 'Akebono'.

These are the young 'Akebono'
    20120619_LowerMall_Akebono_Cutler_P1250392.jpg 20120619_LowerMall_Akebono_Cutler_P1250393.jpg

And the older 'Somei-yoshino'.
    20120619_LowerMall_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_P1250395.jpg 20120619_LowerMall_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_P1250394.jpg

We thought the nails in the trees was a little cringe-worthy too.

10. wcutler

A little fall colour. I don't see these trees posted here - on Thunderbird at West Mall. I think they're 'Somei-yoshino'. The trees on Lower Mall have lost most of their leaves now.

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

The row of 'Tai Haku' outside UBCBG are looking colourful right now.

Attached Files:

12. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

3 young cherry trees blooming in the mini-park south of School Of Population and Public Health, 2206 East Mall .
    Not flashy, I don't know their name, but very pretty close up.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

Thanks, Denis/Teresa. That looks like 'Autumnalis Rosea'. Not far from the Beaty Biodiversity Museum. I should get myself out there and have a look at both.

14. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The 'Autumnalis Rosea' trees in front of the North Parkade on Student Union Boulevard are flowering nicely. The trees are visible in Google Street View, at the southeast corner of the parkade—note that this is a summer view)

15. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Rose garden parking

Near Rose garden parking entrance on NW Marine Drive Accolade or Autumnalis Rosea

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  16. wcutler

These are on the south side of the North Parkade (which, I might mention, is not the most northerly parkade, where I mistakenly parked. That parkade is quite near the tree Nadia posted). When I posted these trees in 2009, three here and two at another exit, I said they didn't look all that great, but today I thought they were almost worthy of being a festival favourite, if I hadn't decided that no 'Autumnalis Rosea' could have that designation (it being reserved now for great photo ops).

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

Re: Ubc - trees to be removed

The festival received an email from Tanis and Murray Phillips that reads:
    There are many postings of these trees in this thread. Here is one that Murray sent along.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  18. wcutler

I emailed the three people listed in the note and have received this reply from Jeff Nulty:

19. Douglas Justice

Let's hope, at least, that any replacements are actually 'Somei-yoshino' (Prunus x yedoensis 'Somei-yoshino'), rather than 'Akebono'. Earlier replacements along Lower Mall were 'Akebono', and these should to be changed to preserve the continuity and historical integrity of the original planting. Ideally, it should be done before they get too large.

20. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Regarding the cutting down of these UBC trees...

I am currently drafting a protest email to Campus and Community Planning Associate Vice President Nancy Knight and Director of Planning Joe Stott and have a few questions that forum readers may be able to answer:

1) Approx how old are these trees?

2) Is this the largest grouping of this cherry variety on campus? In Vancouver?

3) Anything else you would like to add about these gorgeous trees that could prevent them being destroyed before their time?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Deborah - Cherry Blossom Volunteer

21. meb

Okame just starting to bloom at the Fraser Parkade near the Asian Centre. Some blossoms today but most are yet to come. Maybe in the next week?

Attached Files:

22. meb

Whitcomb tucked away at David Lam Centre but a welcome sight on such a dull day.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

I received an email from Collin Varner:

24. wcutler

The 'Okame' that Mary Ellen posted on March 13 is in full bloom now, and from my car, looked very impressive.

Attached Files:

25. meb

Easter Monday and the somei-yoshino in bloom all over the campus.

Ponderosa Commons Yoshino - first two photos

Lower Mall wonderful display - next two photos

Attached Files: