Acer pictum 'Usugumo'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by yweride, Sep 26, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

This is a nice plant that is very hard to find because it is difficult to grow. Photos taken 8/30/05

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  2. steely1

steely1 Member

Re: Acer mono 'Usugumo'

Just got this from Byles and as a #2 was surprised how small it was. I figured it was hard to grow, probably very slow. That is a really nice specimen pictured. How old is it? Is this yours? Thought you might have some hints on success growing it if it is. Thanks.

3. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

steely1, big or small your lucky to get your hands on one. They are notoriously difficult to graft, which makes them expensive and hard to find. The plant will grow to 2-4m, the new growth is yellowish becoming highly mottled and speckled white. The plant pictured is old but i dont know the exact age. I'm guessing it would be tripple the size, at least, if it wasnt cut for scion so much. This plant is one my top 10 list for maples, great plant.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Contrasting dark green veins interesting, like spokes; otherwise it could be said it looks like it has mites.

Vertrees/Gregory (2001) report that "The older name of A. pictum has now been accepted as legitimate by the International Botanical Congress, and so it takes precedence over A. mono." Elsewhere I have seen it observed that there is not a consensus among authors.

About A. pictum 'Usugumo' V./G. say (among other things) 'This most unusual leaf form has been likened to a bat's wing. However, the leaf is more beautiful than this term would indicate. The 'fabric' appears to be stretched between the sharp-pointed lobe end and the prominent main vein in each lobe."

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

That is correct: the accepted name for the species is Acer pictum (11 ssp.). De Jong, Proceedings of the International Maple Symposium (Westonbirt 2002). Apparently there was definite disagreement about who was the first to correctly name and describe this species, but Acer pictum Thung. ex. Murray 1784 preceeds Acer mono Maximowicz 1857. This cultivar therefore should be A. pictum 'Usugumo'. Apparently the acceptance of this reclassification is so recent that nurseries, and arboreta and botanical gardens, including UBCBG and WPA, still have trees labeled with the former classification. See also: http://www.ars-grin.gov/~sbmljw/cgi-bin/taxon.pl?1204.

6. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some spring leaf shots of a little one gallon plant I have. It will be a challenge to grow this one here in the hot dry valley, but I am going to give it a shot as it is clearly worth it. Maybe after a few years of babying it, there will be a cool shady spot for it to go in the ground.

Attached Files:

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice looking plant.

Gomero

8. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This cultivar was outstanding this spring in my garden. The photos below are from 05 May 2008 and the tree looked great. This was one of the most popular cultivars at my spring maple viewing. Unfortunately this cultivar dropped every leaf and died this July. The Hoshiyadori planted about seven feet away is fine as well as the other maples in the area. A tough loss in the garden this year and a difficult one to replace.

Attached Files:

9. nelran

nelran Active Member

Sorry about your loss, Ed. From you pics, it really was outstanding, no doubt.
    I think that ussually it's pretty sad for us when one of our trees die (for whatever reason), but it is harder as older and bigger the tree was. Just I think about the all hard job done to keep these plants happy, and suddenly it is gone... Do you know the cause?

Regards
    Nelson

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I echo Nelson's question, Ed. Also, how long in the ground?

My little Usugumo just spent its first year in ground here, seems to be doing OK so far. This certainly has a reputation as a difficult plant, though.

-E

11. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think that this was my forth year with this tree and it was only about 24 inches tall. I kept it in a pot for the first two years and then planted it in the ground. It was fine the first year and looked great this past spring. The only thing that I can think of is that it may have been in too sunny a location and it got fried. I was hoping that it would push a second flush of leaves but it never produced another leaf after the leaves fell. All and all I can’t complain, I have over 500 maples in the garden and I only lost two this past year.

12. nelran

nelran Active Member

Umm, that's about 99,6% sucess. Not too bad, Ed. I have over 50 and I lost also two this year.

13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

waiting list for me,sob,sob, i want one Usugumo....
    like this ,over 3m high(10ft)
    Villa Taranto Pallanza Italy

Attached Files:

• 091.JPG
      091.JPG
      File size:
      369.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

I've been looking for 'Usugumo' for some time now, but have not been able to
    actually find one "in stock" anywhere. Can anybody help in the US.

Regards
    Cirque

15. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Newly emerging leaves on 'Usugumo'
    IMG_3699.jpg

16. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks for sharing, and keep doing so! Can't wait to get mine, should be here later in April. :)

17. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

Finally got one! the leaves are smaller than i was expecting.

Attached Files:

18. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Finally got one! A very nice, roughly 2ft tall, 3g from Arbutus Garden Arts in Oregon. Considering the size (need to find out how old it is), I think it was quite decently priced compared to the few other places I have been able to find it. Root system was very nicely developed too; hopefully this bodes well for this finicky tree.

I plan to keep it in bright shade in the courtyard, but what do the preferences seem to be as far as watering, on the moist or dry side?

Also, I don't know if the leaves are supposed to 'hang' this way, but they look kinda on the droopy side, but not quite to the point of being wilty; I don't know if this is a result of shipping? Also, the leaves seem quite thin and soft, are they supposed to be like this?

Attached Files:

19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Is anyone out there still growing this one? Is that there was talk about it being difficult to grow.

20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening D, I know Charlie from Amazing Maples was showing it on one of his videos. I hope it keeps going everywhere, because it is a batwing maple of beauty IMO.

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, I have 3 in the ground currently. They're very slow growing for me, but growing none the less. Sometimes there is dieback. I believe njacer has replaced his plant too. The spring pics are from 2017 when I was rather spruced up in the garden, but 'Usugumo' really is remarkable for its spring pink. The last 2 are from this year, and a different plant which didn't go very pink. I took them to demonstrate the issues it has with weak growth on new wood. -E

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  22. LoverOfMaples

Trying to decide if I want to add it to my order. Matt and Tim say it's hard to graft but easy to grow. I'm talking to them now. I'm trying to be mindful of my Aug order I'm planning on getting.
    They are releasing some Mikawa offsprings I really want, like Mayday and Mystic Mikawa. They told me they have about 10 coming. I missed on one called Koi already. The stock was clear in less than 2 hours of release.

23. Acerholic

Soooooo much garden envy going on here. Usugumo is a wonderful tree and I would grow it even with the few problems it has. Many others equally have varied problems and that does not stop us from growing them. Lovely photos Emery.

24. Acerholic

Hi D, I was hearing they are selling out of the area 51 maples in 15 minutes. It's absolutely astonishing tbh. The maple interest is growing and growing. 'Fantastic'.
    I've seen Mayday and Mystic Mikawa and they are beauties, not for sale this side of the pond yet. Probably a good thing really Lol

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

They are beautiful E. Decisions decisions, I've really been trying to diversify my collection.