Cats scrathing tree bark off.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by shnphan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

I have heard of a deterrent I could spray on the trunks with hot peppers . Is there anything that is not as severe ? I hear they can claw their eyes out . I am trying to avoid a covering , screen or fence . I also have squirrels digging at the roots. These are young Japanese maples . Trunks from 1" to 4" .

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wrap a piece of chicken wire round the tree. Makes claw-sharpening impossible, and the cats soon learn to go somewhere else instead. It only needs to be in place for a few days, or weeks at most, then you can take it off when the cats have got used to going elsewhere.

3. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

I will . I appreciate the reply. Would window screen have the same effect ?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

No. Window screen is delicate enough that cats can scratch right though it (even the metal stuff - I speak from experience).

5. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

Ok , Thanks I'll get chicken wire.

6. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

As I have cats and fruit trees, I had the same problem. The quick, cheap, easy and effective method that I found was to use masking tape. I simply wrapped the tree trunks with the tape, STICKY SIDE OUT. I wrapped the trunks all over the lower areas that were within their reach and it stopped immeaditly. What Yucky stuff for their paws! As the tape is somewhat of a paper product, you don't have to worry about it girdling a tree.

I also found that I finished a lot of crawling insects that were headed to the fruit source.

7. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just found a product that is a plastic grid with about 1" spikes. The are a little flexible, but strong enough to be a definite annoyance/deterrent without causing harm. I've put them in areas where cats would hide trying to catch birds. They seem to work, and I've ordered more...

8. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

shnphan,
    I am just south of you in Central Ill. and I have had terrible squirrel problems this year. They are climbing my small container trees and eating all the new growth off. I finally decided to try one of those motion sensors that shoots out water. That might work for you, mine has so far. I put all my maples in one area and set it up. Of course if yours are inground and all spread out that might not work for you with cats. If it continues to work for me, I might get more as deer deterents. It depends on how smart the squirrels are.
    Kay

9. Fabrice

Fabrice Active Member Maple Society

Mustard diluted in water
    re apply when it rains

10. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

Thanks for all the reply s . The chicken wire is in place . I have also been spreading ground cinnamon at the bases of the trees . I'll see .