Norway Spruce Questions

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by DJB, Apr 12, 2011.

1. DJB

DJB Member

I bought two 12 foot Norway Spruce trees and had them planted in our backard last June in IL - USA. They are just beautiful. I have a couple of questions: First, they seem to be healthy but they have a lot of dead small internal branches - close to the truck and out about on foot...all dead. Should all these be pruned / trim out and removed? Secondly, how much watering should I do during this first spring & second summer. Lastly, what about fertilizing? I've had mixed messages about this from NOT doing this in the first year and wait until fall. To that the Norway Pine LOVES fertilizer. To don't ever fertilize at all because you run the risk of over doing it. Thoughts? THANK YOU, DJB

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possible the small dead branches are killed by pollution (oil leaks) and/or soil compaction from the truck; don't park it near the tree.

Best not to fertilise, unless a soil test shows a specific deficiency. Spruces are well adapted to low fertility soils.

3. DJB

DJB Member

Thanks! Is it ok to prune out all those little dead (spout) branches that are located deeper inside the trees. They are from the truck to 12 inches out from the trunk - from top to bottom.

4. Michael F

Not sure what you mean there!? Can you clarify what you mean by the "truck"? Is it a typo for "trunk"?

5. DJB

DJB Member

Just a typo. These are twig-like dead little branches starting at the trunk - and moving along the branch for about 12 inches. Hard to see unless you move the outside branches to look deeper inside the trees.

6. Michael F

Ah! OK, yes, prune the dead twigs out if you want to for the appearance, but it isn't important for the health of the tree.

7. DJB

DJB Member

Thanks! How much should I be watering? The people I bought the trees from and who planted them, said that after a year I don't need to water - just to let mother nature provide. Any truth to that? I've read that I should still water - but mixed reviews on whether it is best to water at the base of the trunk - or that I should water at the drop line. Your advice?

8. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

Unless there is a drought, you should be ok with rainfall in Illinois.

tj