Identification: Is my plant dying?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by fdawg, Mar 22, 2011.

1. fdawg

fdawg Member

Hello,

I have had a plant for the past month- I've been watering it once a week- and now i've noticed roots coming out of it and also some white stuff on top of the soil. I'd like to know what that is and if it's killing my plant (my first plant died in my care, hence my concern).

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

IMG_2220_mod.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

Also, if anyone can tell me what type of plant it actually is that would be really helpful- I bought it from IKEA.

I'm new to gardening and I'd like to learn more about it; eventually I'd love to grow my own herbs, but first I want to make sure that this plant stays alive. I'd really appreciate the help.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Dracaena 'Compacta'; I'm not getting into the whole taxonomic headache with it, though. It looks reasonably healthy, but beware: the stuff you're seeing in the pot looks like a fungus, and your soil also looks pretty wet. If there's one thing I've learned about Dracs (and houseplants in general) it's that they hate to have their feet that wet. You should only be watering when the soil is dry to the depth of your second knuckle - stick a finger in the pot!

Also, if you're seeing roots coming out of the bottom of the pot, it's time to pot up to the next larger size (ensuring that you get a pot with drainage holes!)

3. fdawg

fdawg Member

Thanks so much for your help lorax! So I have to get 2 new pots- one with drainage holes and one without? Also, what kind of soil and fertilizer should I look for?

4. lorax

Nope, just one new pot, with drainage holes. It looks like you have enough space in that other one (your decorative surround pot) to fit the new larger drainage pot. If not, it's up to you whether you buy another decorative pot or not. Sometimes you can find quite nice pots with drainage holes - it pays to shop around.

For soil, look for "potting soil" (a mixture of compost, sand, and perlite, ususally), and also look for "orchid soil" then mix the two together, half and half. This will improve the drainage (water will run through faster), which will help the plant. Your local garden centers should have knowledgable people about that you can ask.

For fertilizer? I'm a big fan of seaweed emulsions, which as far as I know are available in the UAE. They're one of the safest ferts for houseplants, because they won't burn the plant even if you use a bit too much.

5. fdawg

fdawg Member

Noted. As for the watering, if the soil is dry, how much water do i put (like how do i know when to stop pouring water)? Do I mist the leaves? And how about sunlight- should i put it right infront of the window in the day time?

Thanks again so much for your help.

6. lorax

When it's dry, water until water is running out the bottom of the pot, then allow it to drain for a couple of hours before you put it back into the decorative pot. You don't have to mist Dracaenas (in fact, it's better if you don't - in desert conditions like mine and yours, it causes salt buildup on the leaves). As for sunlight, try a North window to start, then in a couple of months step it up to a Southern exposure.

7. heli

heli Active Member

Hi I dearly love plants and growing things My experience with most Dracenea's is that they are low light plants. And Lorax is right about the watering one thing I use whenever my plants get a fungus problem is to mix about a tablespoon or two of peroxide(household) in a half gallon of water to water plants with. It helps to airiate(?) the soil and oxigenate it plus it kills bacteria that causes fungus growth, but you only use it until you start to see improvement. Definitely changeing the soil will help a bunch

8. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Member

Can I use this soil mix for my sprouting mango and avocado plants ?
    I use potting soil and think this doesn't allow good drainage

9. lorax

Absolutely. It's the mix I use in most of my potted plants (Aroids excluded - they get something with even more drainage).