Dying Dracaena Marginata Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Dracaena Marginata Plant, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dracaena Marginata Plant

Dracaena Marginata Plant Member

Good afternoon everyone, or whatever time it is where you are.

I am in London England, my girlfriend has had a Dracaena Marginata Plant for years, it has two trunks, so two seperate plants in one pot?

4 months ago I was cleaning my place and using the hoover as you do. I lifted something off the floor and held the hose up in the air, and accidently hoovered the leaves off the smaller plant's third branch/sprout.

The other two branches/sprouts were fine until about one month ago, when the back one drooped, now a week ago the front one has drooped, although the front one still has colour to it's leaves and hasn't gone black like the back one.

Here is a photo of it now.

The far left branch/sprout is the one i accidently hoovered the leaves off.

What can i do to save this plant?

Thanks
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Well the vaccum may have caused some trauma but id bet something else is the cause of the current plight of your plant.

Has the soil been wet for a while maybe?

Im certain that the three smaller and damaged looking trunks are goners for sure. the larger one may be ok but you need to find out the reason that the small ones are failing. a vaccum may cause initial damage but a healthy plant would likely bounce back with new leaves in time.

3. Dracaena Marginata Plant

Dracaena Marginata Plant Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Well the soil wasn't wet for a while, although the one in question has a mould on it's trunk, which according to my girlfriend has always been there and if you feel the trunk, the bark/skin is not tight like a gap between the bark and inside of the trunk, the other bigger healthy plant in the background of the pic, doesn't have this and its bark is tight.

I am still getting the blame by my girlfriend for the demise of the smaller one though, so you definitely don't think it was me vaccuming the head off one that has casued it?

Should i cut the branches at the base of the trunk on this one? Seeing as it's a goner.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Normal household vacuums would not have removed healthy leaves that easily. So either you are vindictive and devious, or are, as I believe, innocent of planticide.

When sick, dying, and very old leaves are on D. marginata, they pop off with a very clean tap, leaving the upper growth to continue. Most plants are like that. When you see a shrub or plant with clearly senescent leaves, yellowed or drying up, try tapping from the side of the petiole and see how easily they fall. A vibrantly healthy leaf simply does not fall that easily.

Any canes that have that slippage you feel with the weaker stem between the thin bark and the heart of the cane should be cut off down to good solid cane. A clean cut with a slight angle rather than flat topped is best. You don't want moisture to puddle on the cut. Good lighting, good soil, and attention to watering properly will have it sprouting this spring.